What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stuck in Deming, NM with dead Slick 4370

Vlad

Well Known Member
Anybody local with a new/rebuilt Slick magneto 4370? Ready to buy on the spot at your price :)

Vlad. Tel 609-221-8944

[ed. Update 3/7 morning.....solved....read Vlad's replies at the end of the thread.

I moved the thread from 'Temp' to 'RV Maintenance' because it just read so awesome! v/r,dr]

Last edited by a moderator:
Anybody local with a new/rebuilt Slick magneto 4370? Ready to buy on the spot at your price :)

Sorry to hear that Vlad. I do not have one. However; I'm just up the road at Truth or Consequences (TCS). About 30 minutes by air if I can do anything to help.

Slick 4271

Vlad-

I have a Slick 4271 (Impulse coupling) with a gear on it in my hangar in San Carlos. I could probably FedEx it to you in a day or so. You'd need the spacer, though. I think I have it still on my plane, with the blanking plate for my EI.

If that would help, let me know. I'd certainly loan it to you to get you home. It is yellow tagged from Aircraft Magneto Service, and I think it has maybe 2 hours of service from the rebuild. Also to get a friend home when his magneto exploded...

Kevin

However, if you need a quick delivery I would be willing to help by flying out to T or C or San Carlos.and fetching one. T or C is closer to both you and I. Unless YellerDaisy can fly it out to you from T or C.

I'm sure I have a spare at the hanger, if you don't find something give me a call and I can overnight it to you.

Still looking for suggestions on local purchase of a serviceable magneto. Spoke to Walt, Jason and acs on the phone, timely delivery is a challenge

Slick 4370

I have a 4370 from my RV6A O-360A1A when I installed the PMag.
Asking $300 plus shipping. I can take it to Fed Ex, or USPS in the AM. Whoever can get it to you. It has 100 hrs since new.
Let me know if you can't find something closer.

Dewey
724-336-4273

FedEx Next Day costs around $350 (ask me how I know), but you've missed the 5 PM pickup time for today, I think. Enjoy the sights in beautiful Deming /sarc

FedEx Next Day costs around $350 (ask me how I know), but you've missed the 5 PM pickup time for today, I think. Enjoy the sights in beautiful Deming /sarc

Thanks it?s definitely different from Page I wish I stayed there. Chris said hi they remember you.

Yes, I missed the delivery cutoff for today from the leading shippers. As they say here we have our own delays as well.

Autopsy

Under the guidance of the Great Dave12 the mag autopsy continues in the hotel. Shot of vodka helped. Verdict - not repairable in the field :)

E2F94B8F-1B60-4F52-8DE9-42EEA39653C0.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

However, if you need a quick delivery I would be willing to help by flying out to T or C or San Carlos.and fetching one. T or C is closer to both you and I. Unless YellerDaisy can fly it out to you from T or C.

I checked with the few folks I know around T or C and no dice here either.

Jim, Jon thank you guys. Jim I am still looking local. Would appreciate if you can deliver. All gas and expenses on me.

Vlad,

I have a 4370, recently overhauled, sitting on my shelf here. If you don't find success tonight, I could ship it out tomorrow.

Bruce

Try Aviall. I think they are in PHX and they are here in DFW. Getting to Deming is the hard part.

Vlad,
I have a new one in Phoenix, AZ I can remove from my engine (IO360M1B). I'm working on fwf now so not in use or needed at this time. I have a friend with a 182 that can fly us up tomorrow AM if that works for you. The problem is I do not have spare mag gaskets. I don't know if there are any there in KDMN to purchase either so rushing down there and still having to wait for gaskets to ship may be counter productive. I sent a text but not sure if you got it. Let me know.

Carlos

Vlad,

Capt Sandy and I are in Lake Havasu City. Happy to fly tomorrow to pick up a mag for you somewhere and then deliver. Good excuse to exercise our plane some.

Call or text at Five 03-Seven08-Five794.

Regards,

Problem solved.

An RV builder in Phoenix is removing a magneto from his project as we speak and will be driving to Deming in an hour or two. I couldn?t thanks enough to VAF camaraderie. You guys rock!

Vlad, glad to hear you have help on the way. Good luck with the trip hone. - just curious, how many hours ore on the faild mad since last service?

Last edited:
Clad, glad to hear you have help on the way. Good luck with the trip hone. - just curious, how many hours ore on the faild mad since last service?

400 since new Keith. I opened it up last night. Carbon brush disintegrated the pieces all over innards. Rotor is hard to turn by hand. Toast.

I?m in PHX (Mesa) with a day off and an RV10 itching to fly. I can fly your guy and/or the mag and whatever else you need so he doesn?t have to drive. I can be there before noon. I?ve been field rescued and am overdue to pay it forward.
602 421-2868

I’m in PHX (Mesa) with a day off and an RV10 itching to fly. I can fly your guy and/or the mag and whatever else you need so he doesn’t have to drive. I can be there before noon. I’ve been field rescued and am overdue to pay it forward.
602 421-2868

Thank you Myron appreciate it. My guy was driving all night and is 30 min away.

Slick SB3-08 needs to be reviewed

Your s/n, per my understanding, indicates a magneto originally manufactured in January 2004... SB3-08 talks to this exact issue.

Failed Coil

400 since new Keith. I opened it up last night. Carbon brush disintegrated the pieces all over innards. Rotor is hard to turn by hand. Toast.

I just had a Slick Mag failure last week with only 386 hrs on it since new. This one the secondary coil failed. I was lucky and landed at my home field and had a local Mechanic repair it from use parts.

This is the the second premature Slick failure I have had. I think I will buy Bendix next time.

Glad to hear you are getting setup and good luck with the new Mag.

Last I saw Vlad - about 45 minutes ago - he was preparing to depart Deming. Replacement mag installed and working as expected.

John R. (sorry, can't recall your full last name) is a SAINT! He pulled a mag from his project engine, drove it to Deming from Phoenix (350 miles), helped Vlad install it, and now get's to drive all the way back! Well done John!!

DSC02353.jpg

?What a Country!?

I am reminded of the Russian comedian, Yakov Smirnoff, whose famous punchline is ?What a Country!?

Plenum? bright yellow fabric Plenum?????

is it ok to drift this thread now?

...what's up with that plenum on top of Vlad's engine? Looks like it's anything but rigid, but a brilliant idea.
Gotta be quite heat resistant though.
okay, anyone know what this is? and where do I get one? ;-)

is it ok to drift this thread now?

...what's up with that plenum on top of Vlad's engine? Looks like it's anything but rigid, but a brilliant idea.
Gotta be quite heat resistant though.
okay, anyone know what this is? and where do I get one? ;-)

That caught my eye too - inquiring minds want to know!

Horton hears a WHO

That Vlad gets around. Just checked his APRS tracks and realized he's probably visiting the Horton guy. Show him some good Alabama hospitality, Dan! :)

P.S. Woops, he's now airborne again, with just a short pit stop at Wetumpka.

P.P.S. That magneto must have worked well...from New Mexico to South Carolina. Way to go, Vlad the Voyager!

Last edited:
That Vlad gets around. Just checked his APRS tracks and realized he's probably visiting the Horton guy. Show him some good Alabama hospitality, Dan! :)

P.S. Woops, he's now airborne again, with just a short pit stop at Wetumpka.

P.P.S. That magneto must have worked well...from New Mexico to South Carolina. Way to go, Vlad the Voyager!
Vlad, where in SC are you? Will you be anywhere close to SC86 for the weekend?

Slicks rock! Switch to Slick!

Vlad, where in SC are you? Will you be anywhere close to SC86 for the weekend?

Bill,

Landed at an undisclosed location in SC. Activated the airport terminal alarm, sheriff showed up then we got a free ride to a motel. Departing to NJ early morning I might show up in your woods in two weeks.

Slick mags are the best I became the staunchest supporter. First set lasted thousands of hours and I replaced them still operational. Well, one disintegrated on me recently but the replacement was sourced within several hours. More then that, I had about a dozen offers ready to ship immediately. What alternative ignition vendor product could get me going again in the middle of nowhere in less then a day? Go Slick! J. R. the petition for a distinguished medal is forwarded to the Kremlin. It will be approved within hours... :D

Last edited:
John,

Thank you very much again. Your magneto works like a swiss watch, clocked first 15 hours on it. They made good stuff in last century. You have to speed up and finish that RV9A of yours and we go two ships to Russia. Not in flip flops though... :D

After buzzing your country side for couple days I came back home to this

JohnR%20-%201%202.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

John is timing the magneto. He taught me how to do it and left me his buzz box.

JohnR%20-%201%201.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Having fun on Mars.

JohnR%20-%201.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

JohnR%20-%201%203.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Vlad,

Sure was great to meet you and John and glad to hear you made it back without further issues.

What is all that white stuff on the ground under your airplane? :eek: Looking closer... what is all that grey stuff in the air?!?!? Where do you live?!?!?! :p

Back