What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

O360 engine from helo R44 trainer

Superman1s

Does anyone know if there are issues when the engine in a RV7 came out of a helo? Time in helo 339, total time now 475. The helo was used by Silver State which is out of business Thanks

I think the J2A help engine wasn't rated at full power because of the Cylender wall thinkness. It was de-tuned to 145 I think. I would imagine that it was interchangeable with another Lycoming model... maybe the thicker cyleders could be installed.

That's the limit of my knowledge.

I presume that you mean the R22. The R44 has an O-540. Robinson specs say that the O-360 in the R22 is derated to 131 hp for takeoff and 124 continuous.

I think the J2A help engine wasn't rated at full power because of the Cylender wall thinkness. It was de-tuned to 145 I think. I would imagine that it was interchangeable with another Lycoming model... maybe the thicker cyleders could be installed.

That's the limit of my knowledge.

According to Robinson it's still a 180HP engine but derated by limiting MAP and RPM -

http://www.robinsonheli.com/manuals/r22_mm/r22_mm_6.pdf

Are the cylinders really different?

i believe frank robinson derated it to suit his needs of safety and high tbo limits. the engine and all rotating components run at constant rpm. engine of the r22 is at 6,525 rpms. at sea level with 20 degrees centigrade temp max mp is 22.6. add .9 increase of mp for 5 minutes on take off.

ps, added note; a temp guage is required equipment for piston robbys so mp can be determined from temp and pressure alt. :cool:
IMG_0870.jpg

Brooks Field? Marshall, MI, RMY? Soloed at nearby BTL in 1973 while home on leave. Went back there a couple of years later just to get into the air. CFI asked if I might want to try some aerobatics. He preflighted the C150 Aerobat and we went out to do some loops and spins. After about 45 minutes of that, we were near RMY and he asked if I minded stopping in to see a couple of his friends. As we taxied in, everyone stopped to look at us. Getting out of the airplane, we saw a wide swath of oil down the side of the plane. The oil cap was found lying in the bottom of the cowling. We had about two quarts left :eek:. Kinda glad we made the stop and didn't do any more aerobatics that we did!

.....the engine and all rotating components run at constant rpm. engine of the r22 is at 6,525 rpms. at sea level with 20 degrees centigrade temp max mp is 22.6. add .9 increase of mp for 5 minutes on take off. ......... [/IMG]

Suspect a typo. Did you mean 2,525?

I have a -J2A

Does anyone know if there are issues when the engine in a RV7 came out of a helo? Time in helo 339, total time now 475. The helo was used by Silver State which is out of business Thanks

I acquired an O-360-J2A from an R22 that ground rolled with 752 hrs since Lyc factory overhaul. (Not flying yet, inspection soon, but running and ground testing now).

Smokey Ray has posted also about his J2A experience - might search on that. He gave me a heads-up on the mechanical fuel pump, which was NOT used on the J2A so the accessory cover had to be removed to add the push pin, and swap the gear for one with a cam to push the pin. Relatively easy to do. Had to acquire a Lyc high pressure mechanical fuel pump for use with the AirFlow Performance Fuel Injection system compatibility. Apparently the R22 used dual electric fuel pumps which is one approach.

The J2A came with a SkyTec light weight starter, 149 teeth, and needed a 3" jumper added because it is NOT present on the R22. Something about the way the helo is wired for the solenoid. Cheap & easy.

The starter gear ring assembly used 7/16" lugs, which I replaced with Saber Manufacturing 1/2" lugs, to match the Sensenich Fixed Pitch prop (Vans cruise prop). But again, very easy change.

And the J2A sump vertical induction was sized for the 'derated' carb, so a sump swap appropriate to the induction of the servo of the AFP fuel injection was done.

Lastly, I swapped the Kelly Aerospace 60A alternator. which was very large, for a Plane Power 60A unit to avoid a cowl interference issue. The Left Mag is a 'retard' mag and I had to acquire the 'shower of sparks' starter vibrator to function correctly. (Similar to the often used SlickStart device.)

Basically it's not difficult but takes a little more than hanging the engine.
The price was right and the final configuration was achievable. Helo's generally have very good maintenance, the derated J2A extends the TBO (think in that config it's 2400 hrs, but don't quote me). In that regard I could probably say it's got 752 SMOH on a 2400 TBO engine but is now in airplane use at 180HP.

Back