What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7A with LS1 V8 ??

Extremely heavy

Saw it fly a few years ago at Copperstate. It is VERY heavy. Don't remember the exact numbers.

There was a couple RV 10s flying with these engines, and they were rather nose heave as I recall.

And the 10 is designed to have a 540, so extra weight is already figured into the design.

Unless the 7 had a fuse stretch or something, I cant see how the C/G is going to be very friendly.

No way would I fly that thing!

Let's see, if you throw away the engine, prop, cowl, everything forward of the firewall, and mostlikely the panels as well seeing how almost everything looks to be LSI spacific, Whats left and what is it worth? Also has the airframe been modified? Hmmmmm Not for me :eek:

Experimentation is fine and encouraged, after all we are Experimental, but does anyone know if this flys and how it handles? Can an RV even handle 350HP? Flutter speed? Lots of questions. What would Van say?

Last edited:
Maybe the leaving the front wheel pant and intersection fairing off helps with the CG and keeps it under VNE. :rolleyes:

Not my cup of tea either, but kudos to the guy that got it flying. Quite the project!

I'm in awe of the fiberglass work the builder is capable of. No way would I be able to make that cowling with my (lack of) skills.

Back