What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

left & right EGT display reversed on the Dynon

MMiller

Check your EGTs. My left and right EGT sensor wires pairs were reversed at the 25-pin D connector. A call to SteinAir confirmed;
1) My EGT harness was wired to Vans spec.
2) My EGT harness did not match the Dynon EGT input configuration.

Vans was notified the same day. My Powerplant Kit shipped 3-1-10

Mike

Mike, apparently this is not an uncommon experience. I had to turn around on taxiway last Sunday as my left cht was indicting -7 degrees. Fixed the wire I tore loose while checking bolt torque on engine mounts. Interesting part was the wire was separated on the right side of engine, not left. After re- connecting the right side wiring the left cht was just fine. I will have to remember that fact until I do some re-wiring. Maybe something we all need to trouble shoot to determine what we have in both cht and egt. connections.
Dick Seiders

Many of us with the early kits had to reverse the pins at the DB-25 connector at the back of the Dynon D-180, so left was left and rightside was rightside. I would be surprised if Van's has not corrected this item with the current kits. Back, at that time, we all informed Van's and Stein of the wiring problem.

This issue cannot be corrected by re-programming.

Last edited:
My left and right EGT is reversed......

as I found out yesterday by holding a light bulb up to the sensors. The CHT's are correct. Did anyone else correct this by simply reversing the push-on connectors in the engine compartment, rather than taking the top off the avionics bay and digging into the big connector on the back of the Dynon?

I really hate to go into the DB connector because it will require taking the cover off, clipping a bunch of cable ties, and then disturbing the big connector, which seems to be working just fine in all other aspects.

Thoughts of those who have already corrected this are welcome.

I am going to pull the cover and correct this in the connector Monday so it will be correct for the first flight. Is it obvious which wires need to be reversed once the cover is off the connector? Is it just two wires to swap, or two PAIRS of wires?

Bad D-sub housing too...........

Yesterday I pulled the cover, unplugged the 25-pin D-sub, and swapped the L&R EGT wires. In the process discovered that one of the pins would not stay seated in the D-sub housing. Thought I had a bad pin, so tried it in a different hole. Clicked right in and stayed put. Concluded the D-sub housing itself was defective, so replaced it. (My FBO had one in stock.) Could this have been the reason for my intermittent EGT reading during the ground run? Maybe, we'll see.

Anyway, just a word to the wise. Make sure those D-sub pins click in positively, and STAY THERE when tugged on. If the pin won't stay engaged, it could be either a bad pin OR a bad housing.

Yesterday I pulled the cover, unplugged the 25-pin D-sub, and swapped the L&R EGT wires. In the process discovered that one of the pins would not stay seated in the D-sub housing. Thought I had a bad pin, so tried it in a different hole. Clicked right in and stayed put. Concluded the D-sub housing itself was defective, so replaced it. (My FBO had one in stock.) Could this have been the reason for my intermittent EGT reading during the ground run? Maybe, we'll see.

Anyway, just a word to the wise. Make sure those D-sub pins click in positively, and STAY THERE when tugged on. If the pin won't stay engaged, it could be either a bad pin OR a bad housing.

It is possible that a loose pin could cause an intermittent problem. Note that removal and installation of those pins can cause the latching of the pins to sometimes wear, and the other thing is that sometimes things just go bad. If you find yourself in that situation, let me know and we'll take care of you...but also know that it's extremely rare. Out of the 10's of thousands of harnesses we've done, the failure rate of those connetors is in the fractions of percents, which is about as good as you can get for anything mechanical!

Cheers,
Stein

Back