What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pics of SNF and good VAF KARMA!

brianwallis

VAF moderator
Hello Everybody!!! I spent 3.5 days at SNF.... and I took 4,525 photos.... I was mostly in the Emergency Response Team tent.. so a lot of those photos are from the airshows (we have the best seat in the house next to the taxiway).... anyhow... I'm going to be putting them on CD's for people... I've got about 3 grand in photo equipment that I'm using and that I would like to help defer the cost of my camera the the gas down here and back if you don't mind... I would like to be a professional photographer one day and I'm accumulating the gear as we speak. I've got a Nikon D90 with a 70-300VR lens(plus a bunch of other equipment) and I've got some fantastic shots... If you want a copy of all the photos on cd.... you can send me some money..... I'll keep some and send the rest to Doug (since I am technically not a professional photographer and I feel like putting some good VAF Karma out there) .... If you don't send me any money.... no big deal... enjoy the photos and help other people enjoy them as well. I'd like to find some different ways to share the photos instead of burning cd's... if anybody has any suggestions where I can put 4k photos.... lemmie know :)

http://brianwallis.smugmug.com/gallery/8020214_pLNG6#521837773_J4Tu9

Best
Brian Wallis
5326 Saffron Drive
Dunwoody Ga 30338

Last edited:
If you've figured out how to take good pictures, Brian, let me know your secrets <grin>!!!!

b,
d

SmugMug

Brian,

Try SmugMug -- awesome, professional photo hosting for $149/year. You can set up your own store without knowing a bit of HTML. Storage is unlimited. Several RVers use SmugMug, myself included.

You can enter my "coupon code" (Gg8UKoJXY7c9M) on the signup form -- you'll save $5 and I get a reward too. :)

Regards,
-- Chris

For that matter, picasa give your right at 1GB, which would be enough for most of those pics, assuming you sample them down to a good web resolution.

Brian,

FYI, your link works but goes to page 5 of your gallery. Not sure if you intended that.

Those are some very nice photos indeed!!

-- Chris

Lookin' good

Brian, did you crop, adjust contrast/brightness etc prior to putting these shots on the web???

If not, wow----you have gotten your shots well centered, not an easy thing to do with moving targets, good color/brightness/contrast also. Good frame filling.

All in all, really nice pics.

Mike,

One of SmugMug's great features is the automatic adjustments that it can apply to each uploaded file. By default, it does some sharpening and contrast enhancement. I have discovered that I can pretty much upload the JPEGs right out of my camera (I shoot RAW, but my camera also saves the file as a JPEG at the same time) and have them look really good on SmugMug.

That said, I agree with you -- Brian's composition, exposure, and focus are excellent. As you say, not an easy thing to do with a subject like airborne aircraft!

-- Chris

somebody needs to train me on how to take pics like that! Man, I LOVE the F-18 pulling up and blowing dust all over the runway!!!

I am not a tree hugger by any means.......HOWEVER the lady bug is some of the best I have ever seen! What is the other pict, not the moon...?

PS The planes were ok too....:D

hello folks

Thanks for the compliments folks... I did do some cropping and a little tweaking here and there... I've got a Mac and it's super user friendly. The "other shots" are a ladybug shot with a macro lens (105mm) and I also shot a cup of MM's. I focused on the image in the drops of water, the water drops acted like lenses and so you can see the MM's in the bottom of the cup. The secret to shooting (ha... like I know what I'm talking about :) ) Is to learn how to use the manual mode and think ahead. I have a semi-automatic trigger so I can click of 4fps or more I think.... The lighting is the key... also you have to get good equipment. If you zoom in on patty's airplane.. you can see the aersti (small white sheet her manuevers are printed on) in the cockpit. I've spent way too much money on camera equipment, but the goal was to do aerial photography and build heli flight time by doing photos. I'll upload some more shots for you all to see.... Now... for the truth.... if you take 5000 shots.... at least 20 or so should look good :)

(NEWS FLASH) I just added a whole bunch more photos (snapped very quickly because of the airshow deadline... so don't expect miracles) so please check back to see photos of the RV's that were there Sat... they should show up in the gallery by 1930 EST today... Black Magic is in there if you want to take a peek...
Best
Brian Wallis

Last edited:
smokin...

Hey Erich, the Aeroshell team does a circle on the ground with their smoke systems on... I got real lucky and got a good shot of one halfway through the turn. Poor guys must be IMC on the ground... I bet they are looking at the DG so they know when to stop turning!
Best
Brian

ps... I added a second "gallery of stuff" that is not specifically snf 09 and was shot a while ago and not with my current set up....

Last edited:
photos

Hey everyone, I wanted to thank you for all the input about the photos. Layoffs are looming at work and I'm pretty worried. If you or anybody you know needs any photo work done, please let me know. I'm trying to figure out a long term plan to get my photo efforts off the ground. I did post my photos on Smugmug and they are for sale for a buck each plus whatever they charge plus shipping etc.... If any of you have suggestions for me, please let me know. Moving took up my savings and I'm just starting to recover. I'm in the West Palm Beach area, however if I am laid off, I will return to Atlanta. Ps... if someone buys a photo... that officially makes me a professional photographer :) or so I hear... :)
Best
Brian Wallis

Last edited:
Back