What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Interior Option RV-7/7A/9/9A (Classic Aero)

Luke D

Well Known Member
Advertiser
We've added new side panel and seat options for RV-7/7A/9/9A customers. In doing so, we decided to also put together an interior package around them. You can see more details by clicking on the image or the link below.

Please feel free to post any questions or comments here. I usually check the forums daily, but I don't always log in to see PMs.

More Info on Classic Aero Website ?

Thanks,

Luke,

Any update on the RV14 Interior options beyond the seats being available?

Thanks Jim

Hi Jim,

No update other than we are currently working through the first run of RV-14 seats. The first time on something always takes longer, and requires more attention to work through things. We will be doing carpets next. Side panels will be after that.

I apologize for not being more on top of the RV-14 products. Because the RV-14 kit delivery schedule kept being extended, we kept slipping in other projects. The idea was to get them out of the way so that once the RV-14 was close we could focus all attention on that. It finally came, and we were still wrapped up in some of those projects:eek:

Just out of curiosity, why no kit for the -10?
Sorry if this has been answered already

Just out of curiosity, why no kit for the -10?
Sorry if this has been answered already

No problem Charlie. It's kind of a long story, but the short version is that we planned and began working on a very ambitious (costly to develop) full interior option for the RV-10 back in 2008...

We ended up putting it on the back burner when the economy slowed. In the mean time, we have stayed very busy offering products for the 2 place RVs, and other options for the RV-10 have become available. Currently our focus is on the RV-14.

Aren't you glad I didn't give you the long version:D

Here is also a page from our FAQ section:
FAQ: Do you offer interior items for the RV-10?

Since the Sierra side panels are a new item, I thought I would post some actual pictures of them too.

1879-lrg.jpg

1880-lrg.jpg

Hope everyone has a nice 4th weekend.

They look great. How much weight does each piece add?

Hi Chris,

We are pretty happy with the weights on all of these components. The carpet is probably the main one I wish we could reduce, but it's a balance between providing good sound dampening in the floor and weight. Here are the individual weights:

Seats (2) - 7.8 lb (3.5 kg)
Side panels (full set) - 5.2 lb (2.4 kg)
Stick boots (2) - .6 lb (.27 kg)
Front carpet - 4.5 lb (2.0 kg)
Gear weldment covers (2) - 1.5 lb (.7 kg)

Total for tail dragger - 18.1 lb (8.2 kg)
Total for nose wheel - 19.6 lb (8.8 kg)

Hope I got the metric conversions right for our international customers:eek: Let me know if you have any other questions. I'd be happy to help.

Edit: These weights are for cloth seats and side panels. I don't have weights yet for all materials, but they will increase weight somewhat. My guess is that leather (the heaviest) will add no more than 1.5 total.

Last edited:
You guys do some very beautiful work. I am 100% going to be using your interior when the wife and I do a 14 in a couple more years. Im gonna let her pick the colors. ;-).

I cannot wait. Hopefully, a full interior kit will be available then.

Also, To pick your brain a bit, baggage compartment area...
We plan on doing quite a bit of Pilots n Paws pet rescue charity relocation flights and would love a suggestion on how to make a cleanable, durable, all size of dog friendly cargo area liner (for lack of a better word). Or perhaps just the normal carpet with a temporary rubber floor mat?

Last edited:
Thanks Luke. That's not too bad at all.

I second what Neal said. Classic Aero does beautiful work. Very happy with the Sportsman seats I've got. They turned out awesome.

Thanks guys.

Neal, to answer your question. We can talk about different options. Off the top of my head, I would think that extending carpet up the sides further might be good. Carpet is about the most durable material we have, and would be good for the dog. One problem might be what they would do on the carpet :D Again, several options we could talk about. We'd be happy to help you figure something out.

Hi Luke,
Love your interior! Quick question can I fix the armrest myself? 5 years of intensive flying put a dent on your product :D

Hi Vlad,

Watching your trip write ups, it seems like you could have gone to the moon and back a few times :p

I wouldn't recommend repairing it on your own. I'll send you a new one. It's been a while since we've sold the early Aviator side panels like that, so I'll have to do some checking. I know we have the foam parts, but I'm not sure about the base piece. I'll have the check with Jeremiah on Monday. I'll let you know then...

Best regards,

Hey Vlad,

We have some of those parts left. We'll get a new one out to you. Need to verify that your address is still the same though.

We just shipped one of our "Sierra" packages today, so I thought I would post a picture to make it more clear what is included.

The gear weldment covers (dark grey triangular objects near the bottom) are of course only included on "A" models. A few of the smaller pieces are not shown for clarity. There are about 6 small pieces that must be glued in. The rest are removable for inspection and maintenance. Parts are ready to install. No trimming is required.

2021.jpg

Are the Sierra interior panels compatible with your other models of seats?

Hi Bob. Yes, any of our seat models work with the Sierra Side panels. Actually just about any of our products are compatible with any other product we offer now (this didn't used to be the case).

Are headrests an option?

Hi Jay,

Headrests are not an option on the Sierra seats because they use the stock Vans frame. You could substitute our "Aviator" seats which do have the headrest options.

That would kind of go against the whole idea of the Sierra package though which was intended to give customers the max bang for the buck. The Aviator is our top of the line seat option, and while it is very popular, it is considerably more expensive than the Sierra.

Another thing to consider is that headrests restrict access to the baggage area somewhat on the 7 and 9 (especially for tipups).

Reviving old thread

Hey Luke, I know it's last year's thread, but is there a Sierra kit like that for the RV6?

Hey Scott,

Almost missed this one. I just happened to check VAF before I left for the day. I'm sorry, we don't have the Sierra seats for the RV-6, but we could do the same package with the Sportsman seats. The cost would be a little more because of the cost difference of the Sportsman vs. Sierra seats.

Honestly, we don't sell very many of the Sierra seats compared to our other styles (Sportsman and Aviator). I've never tried to up-sell anyone because I don't want them to later feel like they got talked into something, but I've found that most customers up-sell themselves:) In the end, we just want them to be happy with whatever they decide to go with.

I can post back the cost of that package later if you would like, or I can contact you directly. We're also open the same hours as Vans, so you can just call with question too. I've gotta get home at the moment though.

Thanks,

Hi Scott,

Here are prices for a similar package for the RV-6, but with Sportsman seats:

Cloth: $2479
Synthetic Lether (Ultraleather): $2728
Natural leather: $2985

This would included the following items:

• Sportsman seats
  • CA-2 side panels (basically the same as the Sierra side panels)
  • Stick boots
  • Front floor carpet and sound deadening foam
  • Spar carpet

Just let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks Luke!

Once I make a permanent-ish prop decision, my interior is next. I'll be chatting with you!

Any input on what wears better or cleans easier with having to step on the seats in and out? Perhaps those are two separate answers?

Last edited:
Back