What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14 Advanced Panel

N402RH

Well Known Member
Here is a picture of the Advanced IFR RV-14 panel. We will have versions of this panel for both VFR and IFR using either the AF-5600 or Skyview EFIS. The hole in the top of the center section is for Van's canopy jettison handle. The holes on the right and left of the panel are for the Alternate Air and Cabin heat.

15779516183_acbb8e234a_h.jpg

The panel has two AF-5600T Touch screens, Remote Light-Weight Mode S ES Transponder, ADS-B, remote PS-Engineering Audio Panel with IntelliVox®, AF-COM Radio, Advanced Autopilot Controller, Wig-Wag Lighting, Flap Positioning, Two-Axis Auto-Trim, Avidyne IFD-540 GPS Navigator and an optional XM Radio-Weather Module.

Since the panel uses our Advanced Control Module, installation will be incredibly easy for the builder -saving many hours of frustrating work. Not only does the Module make it easier to install, it's much easier to maintain and upgrade in the future.

Pricing will be very attractive since we not only build the panel but we also manufacture most of the equipment.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems Inc.
N402RH RV-10

Last edited:
Rob,

Thank you for the tempting previews.

A quick question about these types of panels:

First note that I love the newer flat panel avionics with built-in synthetic vision. This to me looks like a real safety improvement vs. older technologies.

However, when we have a panel that has zero backup air-driven instruments, it seems to me we should have a separate master switch for the left and right systems.

One poster on the VAF experienced complete panel blackout due to a failed master switch.

Another poster on VAF experienced complete panel blackout due to water ingress into his panel.

I would be more comfortable if each of the redundant sides of the system had a separate master switch. This, I believe, could fully eliminate any single point failure mode.

Perhaps you can comment on how the backup battery power is routed to the systems vs. the master switches.

Best Regards,

-Paragon
Cincinnati, OH

Rob,

Thank you for the tempting previews.

A quick question about these types of panels:

First note that I love the newer flat panel avionics with built-in synthetic vision. This to me looks like a real safety improvement vs. older technologies.

However, when we have a panel that has zero backup air-driven instruments, it seems to me we should have a separate master switch for the left and right systems.

One poster on the VAF experienced complete panel blackout due to a failed master switch.

Another poster on VAF experienced complete panel blackout due to water ingress into his panel.

I would be more comfortable if each of the redundant sides of the system had a separate master switch. This, I believe, could fully eliminate any single point failure mode.

Perhaps you can comment on how the backup battery power is routed to the systems vs. the master switches.

Best Regards,

-Paragon
Cincinnati, OH

Both EFIS screens are on a separate power buss, the PFD is turns on with the master switch and the MFD turns on with the Avionics switch. Each EFIS screen also has a backup battery power input that will power the screen if the power fails. Each screen can also be forced to shutdown in flight by holding down the left button and top knob for 30 seconds.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems
N402RH RV-10

Back