What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14 Fuel Tank Senders

Driving '67

Well Known Member
Friend
Hi All,

Just in the process of ordering my wing kit and was wondering what system of fuel quantity measuring system everyone is using and why?

My leanings are capacitance sending units as there are more accurate and contain no moving parts. Is there any additional factors I should be considering ie.

- costs?
- building complexity?
- integration into wiring system?
- compatibility with various glass systems like Garmin/Dynon?

Also any recommendations for different suppliers of fuel gauge senders?
Did you source the parts from Vans or an outside vendor?

Thanks Jim

I do believe the resistance gauges came with the kit. It's been a few months and I don't recall ordering them separately , but I might have. I had them in the RV-10 connected to a Skyview and found them very accurate. What ever the Skyview said you had in gallons is exactly what you had when you filled the tanks, i.e. if the Skyview said 15 gal. in each tank, it would take 30 gal. to fill.

I believe the capacitive gauges have to be calibrated for each fuel type. If you use different fuel types without redoing the whole calibration, you'll be way off.

The float senders will work the same regardless of fuel type.

I'm using the float type on my -7 because I'm planning to be mogas and ethanol compatible, but I may have to also run 100LL occasionally if I'm filling up away from home. If you know you will only be running one type of fuel, you could use the capactive ones.

Capacitive Fuel Probe options for the -14?

I've used Princeton's capacitive fuel probes in my RV-8A with very good results and would like to go with capacitive technology again on my -14 tanks. For the -8A I bought the Princeton probes already bent to fit the tanks, but I can't find any that are advertised specifically for the larger RV-10/14 tanks. Looks like some of the -10 builders have purchased the Princeton "Advanced NPT Model" in the 24" length and bent it to fit. Before I do the same, does anyone know of a source for capacitive probes specifically designed for the -10 or -14?

Thanks,

float senders

My kit came with float type senders. I don't think you have any options from Vans.

Does anyone know if there's enough room between the tank and the fuselage on the -14 to replace the float type gauges that Vans supplies without having to remove the wing or the tank? My biggest hang up with the floats is that they have moving parts and will eventually wear out. I know it has happened to others, and on some of the 2-seaters it's pretty hard to replace the probes due to geometry and the narrow gap between the tank and fuselage. If they could be replaced by pulling the gap fairing, disconnecting the wires, and removing the five screws that hold the probe in place, I might just go with the floats.

Thanks,

Fuel Senders

You won't have to remove the tank or wing to replace the senders. I am more concered about the proseal around the sender.

Back