What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Peel Ply for canopy work & Exhaust shield tape

JwWright57

Well Known Member
hi all - QQ for those of you that used peel ply for the canopy fiberglass work, how much did you need? I see options to buy 2 yards OR a 9 inch by 60 inch piece.

Also, in the finish kit plans there is a step where you put "EA EXHST/COWL SHIELD" on the bottom of the cowl. The picture seems to imply this is a pre-fitted/pre-sized part. I looked through the finish kit inventory sheet and don't see this. Is it part of the engine kit? Something additional I have to get?

I'm not familiar with your particular task, but I've used a lot of peel ply. I have to believe you need peel ply tapes, which come in various widths. I mostly used 1", but sometimes 2", 3" or, rarely, 4".

On my plane where the exhaust is close to the cowling, I used Aluminized Heat Barrier from Aircraft Spruce. It has performed perfectly. If you go that route, I recommend using 3M Primer 94 to prime the cowling. You let it dry and it makes adhesives really stick. Also, seal the edges with red RTV.

Good luck.

I bought a roll of the 2" wide peel ply tape from Aircraft Spruce. It is a lifetime supply! You don't need much.

2 inch wide is not what you want for the 12 canopy layup. You don't need a huge amount, but the side sections will take a piece about 12"x12". And you will want 2 of those. Plus a strip across the front of the canopy about 6"x36". Look at the templates provided in the plans. That is the area you will need to cover. From memory, I bought a piece about 4feet by 6feet, and probably have enough left over to build several more canopies.
Hope this helps.
Cheers, DaveH

Last edited:
The cowl shield came in a roll for my iS, which needed cut and applied to the areas illustrated in the KAI photo.

Way to Much

hi all - QQ for those of you that used peel ply for the canopy fiberglass work, how much did you need? I see options to buy 2 yards OR a 9 inch by 60 inch piece.

Also, in the finish kit plans there is a step where you put "EA EXHST/COWL SHIELD" on the bottom of the cowl. The picture seems to imply this is a pre-fitted/pre-sized part. I looked through the finish kit inventory sheet and don't see this. Is it part of the engine kit? Something additional I have to get?

I got a ton of peel ply like 3 yards, way to much.

As far as the shield goes, I think it came with my original finishing kit for the RV-12 or the engine kit. Don't remember, but its' a large square sheet that you need to cut and shape the best you can going by the photo in the plans. There are no measurements given by Vans. Just need to wing it.

opJ.jpg

Back