Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-23-2015, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
Vern, any idea how much space would be needed for your pics? I could spare a few GB on one of my hosted VMs.

It bugs the crud out of me that any pics that were posted more than a couple of years ago (a few months in some cases) are gone, and words cannot adequately express my dislike of most of the photo hosting sites.
I think some clever IT guy could crawl the VAF Site, extract the historical linked photos and build an image server. Then, all of the posted links could be replaced with links to the new server. This would require DR's permission, of course, but it is possible to automate. Perhaps paid for by an annual fee... If you want pics, you need to subscribe.

It's actually a very big problem that is not getting any easier to resolve. BTW, it's not about my site being available in the wayback machine or another server, it's the actual links in the DIY articles on this site that will dead end. Not just my stuff, the forums are full of dead links.
RV-9A complete
Harmon Rocket complete
S-21 under construction
Victoria, BC
Chandler, Az

Last edited by vlittle : 06-23-2015 at 04:32 PM.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:48 PM

IMHO, Van's should be subsidizing VAF. It probably saves them $$$$ in support costs. Dynon has it's own forums. So does Vertical Power.

I choose to pay for a SmugMug account to host all of my web site photos. Only $60 a Year! You can also have them create DVD's of the Galleries and get hard copies made for little cost. This way I get to keep control of my photos, and not worry about free sites coming and going, or changing names/locations.

Although, like Vern, at some point my heirs will probably pull the plug on the web site.

[ed. Like you, I pay $20/yr for Google photo storage space (Picasa). Decades from now I'm guessing it will be gone also, or in some other form. dr]
APRS Tracking for KJ6YRP and New Flying Blog
2019 VAF donator
EAA Tech Counselor, Build assistance - canopy/tanks/fiberglass/electrical/repairs

Last edited by DeltaRomeo : 06-23-2015 at 04:55 PM.
Old 06-23-2015, 06:18 PM

I agree with those that say VAF.net would benefit greatly from easier photo posting / archiving. I'd be willing to pay a premium to be able to more easily post photos and see the photos posted by others. I tried the PhotoBucket route based on Doug's sticky but the load time for those photos and all the **** you have to view while seeing them is very aggravating. I know Doug isn't in this for the money but, for some, the extra benefit might be worth a surcharge.

In my view, the addition of a direct photo attachment option would be great value added. Or maybe I'm just missing something! Hey, I'm kinda new!
RV-8 N184RK (flying)
Flying an A320 to pay the bills
Exempt and gladly donating anyway - Current through March 2020
Old 06-25-2015, 01:49 PM

Vern - are you keeping the Rocket site up?