What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil Door

T.O.Craig

Well Known Member
Hi to all,
I'm finishing the cowling and would like to use a different oil door latch system. The one I've seen is a push button type that is flush. I've looked in the usual places with no luck..Any suggestions?

Here's one option. Available at ACS and several others. Just google km610-64.

STgRtYiJSG6mHASq9tjL6Gi819OTQc1B4CXLQjprK3fF=w702-h468-no

I used the little Camloc as seen in Larry's post on my -10. Light weight and looks good. I used a thin sheet of SS firewall material on the inside of the cowl where the latch makes contact to eliminate wear on the fiberglass from vibration.

I used 2 like Dave shows. One on the fore side of the door. And another on the aft side-both toward the edge opposite of the hinge. Think I paid about $15/ea from Wicks. They are flush and clip the door in tight. Problem I am now seeing is that when the engine compartment gets very warm the fiberglass door will start to bow up above the cowl. Cosmetic only. The solution is to rivet or epoxy stiffeners to the back side like shown in Vern's picture.

Jim
RV9a
50 hours

Last edited:
Just make sure you use two latches. There is enough pressure that the door will bow without. Do a search on oil doors......

Thanks

Thanks to all
I ordered the push button style from B and B. $20. Not bad. Lots of info after a search, and I might try a hinge for the lock.

Just make sure you use two latches. There is enough pressure that the door will bow without. Do a search on oil doors......

Indeed. At the moment if I get over 200 TAS my oil door will pop open. Kinda like a turkey timer for Vne. Would prefer not to have that visual indicator though. I am going to add a little more material for my button to use. I am using the KM610 button but I suspect my flange is sanded too far back from the latch. There is currently about 1/8" gap when the button mechanism is retracted.

Skybolts

I used two Skybolts as they were leftovers from the kit I used to attach my top cowl. Advantage is that they are flush, extremely secure, and attractive. Downside is that they require a 1/4 turn to open and check oil (push button would be easier but a 1/4 turn fastener is pretty darn easy!) . I bought a small Phillips screwdriver that is designed to attach to a keychain. It lives on my keychain and is always available during preflight.

Back