What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy Leak RV-8

stancaruthers

Well Known Member
I read the thread of sealing the canopy at the rear with weather strip and complied...easy task, I'm sure it's not perfect but much much better.

I actually have to almost slam it to get latch closed now.
My question is, the wife wants to go to Bossier City this weekend and rain is forecasted for the return Sunday......do I need to buy her a wet suit :D
I'm sure where ever the air leaks in rain will follow ??

Can someone commit on this, I don't want to melt her.

Maybe just have a towel to put up against the canopy for this one trip if it starts to let water in. But more importantly why in the world would you want to go to Bossier City?? (I'm joking with you...about BC)

Maybe just have a towel to put up against the canopy for this one trip if it starts to let water in. But more importantly why in the world would you want to go to Bossier City?? (I'm joking with you...about BC)

Well, we have found Margaritaville to be quite the close weekend getaway to let the batteries recharge.....and sometimes able to recharge the aviation account.

Even though air gets sucked in from the rear of the canopy, I have not had trouble with water coming in. The air is sucked in by the lower pressure in the cabin and while I have seen many clever attempts to "plug" the leak I haven't heard of anyone succeeding other than the fastback guys (whole different approach there). I've flown through heavy rain a few times including this year's trip to KOSH and haven't had an issue in flight.

Chris

Probably as good as it gets...

This is what I did... for what it's worth.

"Hat shelf" idea shamelessly borrowed...

D weatherstrip seal

Wife said air coming from rear track "well" was like a cold hair dryer on the back of her neck so added "RV" (the other kind) foam in front of D weatherstrip. Complaints stopped.

Light rain was ok but heavy rain would migrate forward along canopy rail. Added fuzzy velcro around lower perimeter of canopy skirt. No more water... Sorry no pics.

Back