Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-26-2017, 05:22 AM
Super Moderator

Default Get the Lead out

This week while performing a pre buy inspection on a gorgeous RV-9A I happened upon a big block of lead bolted to the tail area underneath the vertical fin! This RV-9A had a 180 HP Lycoming with a fixed pitch prop, of which I have seen and flown a few of. Nothing out of the ordinary stood out to me in this airplane that should indicate a need for ballast in the tail.

In looking at the W&B paperwork it became clear to me that they had added the weight to get the aircraft CG inside the envelope while it was on the scales. I'm sure most of you know this, but the only time the aircraft is required to be within the recommended CG envelope is while it is flying, not while it is empty.

The seller, who was not the builder, agreed to remove the lead while I was there. We weighed the lead at 19 lbs. 14 oz.! I received a note from him that he has since flown it without the lead and he "likes it much better." He is going to reweigh the aircraft to establish a new empty weight and CG.

This is the second aircraft on which I have found heavy lead ballast in the tail for the same reason. If any of you have done this as well, please go back and remove it. For those of you who are non-builder-owners, I would encourage you to remove your tail fairings to check for any added ballast in the this area. Anyone peforming Condition Inspections who is not familiar with RV's may have assume it belonged there.

This much weight that far aft will definitely change the flight characteristics of the airplane, adding a huge polar moment of inertia that could bite you badly when least expected, such as in a spin. It's also requiring a lot of extra work from the tailwheel (if so equipped) and may make it harder to correct from inadvertent excursions during crosswinds or other circumstances.

Vic

Built RV-4, RV-6, 2-RV-10's, RV-7A, RV-8, Prescott Pusher, Kitfox Model II, Kitfox Speedster, Kitfox 7 Super Sport, Just Superstol, DAR, A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor, CFII-ASMEL/ASES
EAA Homebuilt Council Chair/member EAA BOD
Van's East Coast Representative
www.Baselegaviation.com

Last edited by vic syracuse : 01-26-2017 at 05:25 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-26-2017, 06:42 AM

Default Thanks

Vic,
Thanks for posting this info. Personally, I have not seen this in the few Rv's I have worked with or on. But thanks for explaining why someone might think they needed it and what the down side of having it would be.
Very good info. I always learn stuff from your posts and CI's and your Kitplane articles.
D100-KMD150-660-TT ADI2- AS air/oil seperator. Vetterman exhaust with turndown tips.
Louisa, Virginia KLKU N94TB
Old 01-26-2017, 07:03 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the kind words, Bob. Glad I can be of help.

Vic

Built RV-4, RV-6, 2-RV-10's, RV-7A, RV-8, Prescott Pusher, Kitfox Model II, Kitfox Speedster, Kitfox 7 Super Sport, Just Superstol, DAR, A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor, CFII-ASMEL/ASES
EAA Homebuilt Council Chair/member EAA BOD
Van's East Coast Representative
www.Baselegaviation.com
Old 01-26-2017, 07:26 AM

Wow, almost 20lb back there is huge. I would be interested to see the W&B form before the weight was removed. It would be useful for my AMT students and we could play with some loading conditions.

If you could PM me the gear weights and ballast arm that would be great. I'm always looking for real world examples for my students.
Warner Robins, GA
A&P
APRS KJ4EFS
Old 01-26-2017, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic syracuse View Post
This week while performing a pre buy inspection on a gorgeous RV-9A I happened upon a big block of lead bolted to the tail area underneath the vertical fin! This RV-9A had a 180 HP Lycoming with a fixed pitch prop, of which I have seen and flown a few of. Nothing out of the ordinary stood out to me in this airplane that should indicate a need for ballast in the tail.

In looking at the W&B paperwork it became clear to me that they had added the weight to get the aircraft CG inside the envelope while it was on the scales. I'm sure most of you know this, but the only time the aircraft is required to be within the recommended CG envelope is while it is flying, not while it is empty.

The seller, who was not the builder, agreed to remove the lead while I was there. We weighed the lead at 19 lbs. 14 oz.! I received a note from him that he has since flown it without the lead and he "likes it much better." He is going to reweigh the aircraft to establish a new empty weight and CG.

This is the second aircraft on which I have found heavy lead ballast in the tail for the same reason. If any of you have done this as well, please go back and remove it. For those of you who are non-builder-owners, I would encourage you to remove your tail fairings to check for any added ballast in the this area. Anyone peforming Condition Inspections who is not familiar with RV's may have assume it belonged there.

This much weight that far aft will definitely change the flight characteristics of the airplane, adding a huge polar moment of inertia that could bite you badly when least expected, such as in a spin. It's also requiring a lot of extra work from the tailwheel (if so equipped) and may make it harder to correct from inadvertent excursions during crosswinds or other circumstances.

Vic
Hey Vic, Did you also remind him that a new phase I is needed for that kind of W&B change? (5 hr. min.)
<n168tx(at)flytx.net>
North Texas (8TA5)
RV-6 Flying since 1993
175hp O-320
3-Blade Catto (since 2003)
FRIEND of the RV-1
Eagle's Nest Mentor
Old 01-26-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
In looking at the W&B paperwork it became clear to me that they had added the weight to get the aircraft CG inside the envelope while it was on the scales.
That's pretty dumb, but it's not just an EAB thing. Here at 08A we once had a Seneca show up at the paint shop with a 50 lb bag of sand in the tail.
Old 01-26-2017, 06:57 PM

Default sand

I have heard that before...Many moons ago, at a little flight school, they trained in Seneca 1s. They had a problem with students not being able to hold the nose up on landing. After several broken nose gears and the resulting prop strikes, they started putting sand in the back to relieve the problem (). That didn't last long and they sold the senecas and bought seminoles instead...

RV-10
Structure - 90% Done
Cabin Top - Aaarrghhh...
Doors - Done
On Gear
290 HP Barrett Hung
ShowPlanes Cowl with Skybolts Fitted - Beautiful

Dues Paid 2016,...Thanks DR+
Old 01-27-2017, 06:24 AM

Default Note to self...

Quote:

Vic
Don't be a fool, Schreck! You have already fought this fight and proved the sceptics wrong. Just bite your tongue and ease on down the road.
RV-8, "Miss Izzy", 2100+ RV Hours
Track Me
VAF 2017 Donor
"He who demands everything that his aircraft can give him is a pilot; he that demands one iota more is a fool."
Old 01-27-2017, 07:50 AM

Wink

Should send that lead to Georgia Vic?! Makes good sinkers!
Old 01-27-2017, 08:16 AM

Sure wish I could find 5lbs of lead in my tail! It would sure help out my W&B!
First Flight https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqgxhWH3pqA
Build Blog http://mikesrv7.blogspot.com/
Dues Paid