What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine Mounting Question

stancaruthers

Well Known Member
It's been a long 8 weeks since I sent IO-360 for IRAN and I didn't take pictures before disassemble.
There are 6 large 2" flat washers for engine mounts, I know that there was 1 for the top of each mount, however the other 2 I'm concerned about. I can only assume the builder used them to either raise the nose by placing them between the engine and the mount on the bottom ??? so the cowl would line up ??
What is the process from here, should I leave the 2 xtra's out and see how the cowl looks in relation to the crank flange ??

It's been a long 8 weeks since I sent IO-360 for IRAN and I didn't take pictures before disassemble.
There are 6 large 2" flat washers for engine mounts, I know that there was 1 for the top of each mount, however the other 2 I'm concerned about. I can only assume the builder used them to either raise the nose by placing them between the engine and the mount on the bottom ??? so the cowl would line up ??
What is the process from here, should I leave the 2 xtra's out and see how the cowl looks in relation to the crank flange ??

Here is a reference - it may help.

KibrpU9ZhZ4XnSL6B7mjWZTERHzyBDPrxKY7pMeUceFnCGHjx5--W_-5x5umO0oi3bQjfntNK6tto6TZcAol7Zu6dpUGXeJ6mEqal_Cj_V3uNy9DRglrS0hdSMSjimoVDm5CYc5yU6Web3JeB0B6jyays54bkBQ9yw4v8SH7pOYyxSf6bNeeBVQFKux0voBtauV2e48EO84mXVvpQozXrjd0heeP8nhAnAuwiV2NimZbUxfwFH5QwzqAKiUgTTwoGcb6xOmnOwlbiXjxHpB3MZy1oTT23XILpWPMNjBg6JBH-EZbRAYLMf8FVFHVnvhjXP6NKxwcKaAohzHvFVKUJ7j0Q__Ph8am0VcEA07Q5K6CFv16hPDVvpbnRfQ9zKg-3H4hqOsln_hKkZxBrzMZOdccZgFdgSHCqErd37cdhnVqTCesiUyr1GLz3TbTjNuENLpt-OKTwyZ3U2UEGdrS1BRpypulZ8EiD1I6Ug0I70Y05gRew6YNhyeFjwSa2FgOAONi3W4J7GgtFWge0Sy4zNQYNCsDqU54IdRnHjZIC2VOw1cApq7ASoBAN0hsRfErcSWvTpLkiR-L_yM89dlwSNFATpvco8Dpkkw2-Wn0orS8cTzh6ZIY5QXGUEmSbNcwTq6lQri16HCmsIMfuC_FYRvQH5HHkm3GvV-InDJZEA=w1022-h692-no

Pull the hanging instructions off of this website. They are very detailed and if you follow them exactly, you won't have an issue hanging your engine.

(I hung mine solo in 45 minutes and didn't even scratch the engine mount. Try the search function, it will come up.)

you can find a couple different threads related to this topic, one of the more recent is "Engine Mount Bolts" in the "Firewall Forward"/Traditional Aircraft Engines section of the forum.
search the forums for "engine sag" or "correcting engine sag"

Last edited:
Thank yall very much, the illustrated instructions above did the trick, I only had 3 out of 4 wrong....not bad.
Also did not know the J-221861 washer was thicker and that there are 2 different length bolts, 43mm and 44mm bolts.....would have been pissed a few days later.

Recheck the AN table

Thank yall very much, the illustrated instructions above did the trick, I only had 3 out of 4 wrong....not bad.
Also did not know the J-221861 washer was thicker and that there are 2 different length bolts, 43mm and 44mm bolts.....would have been pissed a few days later.

You may want to recheck your understanding of the ANx-y bolt specs, they are not "mm" lengths. You'll find the meaning of those numbers more useful.

The difference between an AN7-43 and AN7-44 is 1/8" in the "GRIP length" according to the table on Aircraft Spruce. The overall and grip length specs are important to achieve the threads visible aspect.

Back