What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Andair valve location

xblueh2o

Well Known Member
Kind of a two part question.
I am putting an Andair fuel valve in my QB fuselage and have a question regarding location that I can't seem to find a satisfactory answer from searching old threads.

I have rear seat rudder pedals and it seems like the brackets would make it ergonomically difficult to get to the fuel valve in the stock location. I was thinking that I might move the fuel valve forward a bit but I didn't have the time to put the floors and seat back in the fuselage to sit in it to test it before I had to leave for the day. Without the pedal bracket it looked like your hand would fall naturally on the valve with your wrist nearly touching the spar. With the pedal bracket it looked like it would require you to lean forward to allow your forearm to approach the valve vertically.

For those of you with rear seat pedals, do you find that the pedal brackets interfere with the access to the fuel valve and would that be corrected by moving the fuel valve forward?

Show me your custom made brackets to hold your Andair valves. I was thinking of just using two pieces of angle but wondering if the was a more elegant solution.

My custom bracket

Here is what I did. I don't know why my pics are so big. Photobucket is a turd :cool:

I have an older kit (80501) and the stock valve position works fine even with the rear seat rudder brackets/linkage installed. I believe they did make a change in that panel on later models though.

I installed mine in the standard location using some pieces of angle stock.

The hole in the plexiglas in the first photo was used to mock up where the fitting in the tank would be located so I could pre bend the fuel lines... I left them a little long and trimmed them once the wing was mounted.

The location has worked out well now that I am flying...

As you can see from this photo, it is much easier to do this before the fuselage side skin is riveted into position...

Suggestion - put the Andair valve further forward, almost as far as you can and still easily fit pipes etc. You do not alter it often, so if you have to lean, so be it.

Now make yourself a glassfibre stowage box to go in that panel aft of the fuel valve - ideal for Water bottles etc.

Same on RHS, avoid pipes / wiring running through the middle of the space below the panel - another glassfibre stowage with a secured lid. Ideal for the pitot cover, chocks, fuel drain etc. and remains secure during aeros.

Can add some pics if you are interested?

All good info, thanks for the input.
I have gorilla arms so I am not really worried abut being able to reach the valve if I move it forward. I was curious if the addition of the rear seat pedal brackets would essentially require it for better ergonomics. I might be able to sneak some time today and go put the floors and seats in the fuselage and try it out.
Ron, your two angle bracket setup is almost exactly what I had envisioned but Robert's improved plate is pretty snazzy.
Andy, yes please with any relevant pictures.

I notice in the pics that everybody seems to have the valve's 90 degree fittings facing down. I was holding the valve in the compartment last week trying to visualize fuel line runs and bend angles. Thought it might look like down was better.

Hi Sam
Andy, yes please with any relevant pictures.
LH_Cover.jpg
RH_Cover.jpg
RH_Cover_Open.jpg

I must stress I read your post after Beer O'clock over here, and hence the "in hand" refreshment was used for illustrative purposes only :eek:

I just assumed it was root beer. ;)
I had thought about what to do with that empty space. I like those storage bins. Very handy.

I went and looked at a finished aircraft and then I put the front floors and seat in my fuselage this afternoon plus some cushions to sit on to check the ergonomics of a forward positioned valve or a stock location. I think either would work. Now it is just down to deciding how to mount the valve

Back