What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cable lengths for a Superior IO-360

Don Patrick

Well Known Member
Folks,

I have searched the forums and seem to be getting different information for the cable lengths for the throttle, mixture and pitch cables.

Here's the information for anyone that may have this configuration.

Superior IO-360 with cold air induction.

Horizontal sump

Precision silver-hawk injection.

Location of the cables will be as per drawing 60.

Do I need a 60", 55", and an 52.5"?

I'll be ordering from Van's shortly, so any help will be appreciated.

Much thanks

Don

Best take the time and measure

What I did was to use the tubing from the pitot system and route the tube as you would the cables. measure the distance from mount point to mount point. Plus measure distance from the mount points to the control distance full "open and closed" this will give you the required cable movement.
If I was you don't order Vans cables they do not handle heat well and the inside melts in time and then they become extremely hard to move. Order then from Aircraft Spruce. I had to replace my Vans cables will 550 Hours

Pre planing

Thanks Mike,

The engine will be arriving in a couple of weeks and I'm trying to get the cables ordered prior to it's arrival.

If I have to, I do have enough pitot tube to run the length for measure, but hopefully, someone that has the same configuration can chime in and give me a pretty decent idea.

What's the brand name of the Van's cables in comparison with ACS?

Thanks

Don

Hi Don

Prop: 55" as per Vans (unaffected by Superior etc.)
Throttle: 60" as per Vans works fine with XP-IO-360
Mixture: 52"

We were advised to get these by someone who had built RV-8 XP-IO-360 and done at least 1 re-order to get it right.

The Throttle and Mixture have been replaced ~2 times due heat damage, and replaced with same length.

The Vans cables are Tuthill 183 series, which are about as cheap as they come (and labelled "Not for Aircraft Use"!). We now use a UK company who makes equivalent cables in HEFT "3 series" (black) that I am sure are available in the US/Canada. They are much more heat resistant, and will apply a reflective foil outer prior assembling the cable (specify the length for the FF part).

This catalogue Link gives details (p3, 300-03-2)

You will have fun making the Throttle bracket for under the Sump (doing well if you can do it in less than 2 or 3 goes!)

Great!

Much thanks Andy,

I'll for sure stay away from Van's cables due to the quality. I'm seeing numerous entries on the fun folks have had with the routing.

I'll probably give it 4 or 5 tries ;)

Thanks for the link and the info.

Cheers,

Don

cables

I use McFarlan, very pricy stuff but I did a very custom setup. But the gang here use Spruce?s stuff will very good results. Also Spruce has a custom made cable to. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/a1550.php?clickkey=50621
Now you need to consider the threaded ends 10/32 or 1/4"/28. I used 10/32 because it allowed me to use smaller rod end to save space. My biggest concern with buying pre made cables is if you need to re-route it to clear something you may be out of luck. I would include a picture of my throttle but don't know how in this site

Cables

I Don,

I just installed the cables for throttle and mixture on my RV 8a with Superior IO 360 cold air induction. I used A-920 cables from Aircraft Spruce, 60'' long for both mixture and throttle. You will need a different cable bracket for the engine, since the Vans cable bracket / lever won't fit. Drop me a line with your E-Mail address - I will e-mail you pictures.

Thilo (getting nuts over sanding wheel pants fiber glass stuff)

Aspects to consider re the Mixture Cable lengths (62" v 60"):
  1. Are you driving the mixture arm directly i.e. cable to arm?
  2. Or via an intermediate lever system [Vans IO-360 THROTTLE/MIX kit]
  3. Which FI unit do you have regard to mixture lever rotation orientation?
As Thilo says, the Spruce A-920 cables, although a superior quality part as I understand it, have different lengths between mount and cable end to the Vans cables.

Back