What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap switch

Blain

Well Known Member
Installing flap control switch in panel just above and to the right of quad. Manual positioning, with EFIS position display. Fab'ed up a vertical switch guard as seem in other aircraft. Doesn't seem natural to operate. Tried a couple of Steins guards mounted above and below. Now the switch can be operated with just a squeeze. With a fixed "anchor" that should help during turbulence.

Am I missing something or should I go with it? The only drawback I see is that the guards look un-natural compared to their intended use. Creates kind of a weird un-symmetrical thing.

Skip the guard. The flaps come down so slow, if you bump it by mistake, no harm will be done.

I like the "Stein" guards, but agree. It looks weird mounted on top and bottom vs. on the sides.

Mount them on each side of your Flap switch. I think it will provide you with the same thing you are looking for in Turbulence.

Hi Blain

Hate to say it, but my suggestion is consider going back to the Vans switch as supplied :eek:

It is a relatively high force switch, and needs to be held for some time to alter flaps significantly... i.e. accidental operation is unlikely - particularly if you place the switch "out of the way" as you have.

Ours is as you say, and has been fine. Just we use the simpler "position indicator" (look out of window) ;)

Back