What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying outside of the USA after JAN 2020

Pilot135pd

Well Known Member
Has anyone considered what the Bahamas, Canada, and Mexico are going to do come January 2020 with all the aircraft currently using ADS-B OUT that only works in the USA?

I suspect they'll have some way to deal with these planes since it'll cut into their tourist dollars coming into the islands.

What do you think?

At this time neither Canada nor Mexico has any plans to implement ADSB, so the answer is they don't care what you have or don't have. I don't know about the Bahamas - I'm on the wrong coast.

At this time neither Canada nor Mexico has any plans to implement ADSB, so the answer is they don't care what you have or don't have. I don't know about the Bahamas - I'm on the wrong coast.
Sorry Bob but that is wrong information! The short version of what SmilingJack posted, taken from information provided by AOPA as of today:

"Countries with ADS-B Out mandates and proposals:

Canada. Currently no mandate, but operators who voluntarily equip with 1090ES (particularly in the Hudson Bay and nearby oceanic airspace) can receive a higher level of service. Nav Canada is part of a joint air traffic surveillance venture, Aireon, installing ADS-B equipment on low-earth-orbit satellites. Nav Canada will be the launch customer when the service becomes available in 2018, and initially intends to incorporate 1090ES ADS-B into North Atlantic airspace.

Mexico. 1090ES required beginning January 1, 2020, in Class A, B, C, E above 10,000 feet msl, and other specified airspace. Requirement effective now in Class E airspace over the Gulf of Mexico, at and above 3,000 feet msl within 12 nm of the Mexican coast."

Notice both require ADS-B OUT on 1090MHz. Eventually every country will require ADS-B OUT in some form or another. None of them are providing ADS-B IN data.

The Bahamas has not published any timeframe for ADS-B implementation but, given how important US General Aviation is to their economy, it wouldn't surprise me if they wind up accepting 978MHz OUT. Only time will tell.

:cool:

Last edited:
Sorry Bob but that is wrong information! The short version of what SmilingJack posted, taken from information provided by AOPA as of today:

"Countries with ADS-B Out mandates and proposals:

Canada. Currently no mandate, but operators who voluntarily equip with 1090ES (particularly in the Hudson Bay and nearby oceanic airspace) can receive a higher level of service. Nav Canada is part of a joint air traffic surveillance venture, Aireon, installing ADS-B equipment on low-earth-orbit satellites. Nav Canada will be the launch customer when the service becomes available in 2018, and initially intends to incorporate 1090ES ADS-B into North Atlantic airspace.

Mexico. 1090ES required beginning January 1, 2020, in Class A, B, C, E above 10,000 feet msl, and other specified airspace. Requirement effective now in Class E airspace over the Gulf of Mexico, at and above 3,000 feet msl within 12 nm of the Mexican coast."

Notice both require ADS-B OUT on 1090MHz. Eventually every country will require ADS-B OUT in some form or another. None of them are providing ADS-B IN data.

The Bahamas has not published any timeframe for ADS-B implementation but, given how important US General Aviation is to their economy, it wouldn't surprise me if they wind up accepting 978MHz OUT. Only time will tell.

:cool:

I was going to call you and ask your opinion about this but you went and answered here, LOL !! Saludos !

Thanks for the info on Mexico. When did this happen?
IIRC they first announced it back in 2014 with the final implementation document being published in 2017, but I am not exactly sure. It's hard to keep up with requirements for different countries but at least ICAO standards help with this.

:eek:

Back