What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

removing taper pins

dromuald

I installed my tailwheel socket to the tailspring using taper pins several years ago. I need to remove the taper pins and socket. The pins seem to be very snug, tapping on them with a mallet did not move them. I tried pressing one of them out with a C clamp and a socket but still didn't move it. I didn't apply a whole lot of pressure. Just looking for any advice on techniques to get them out without damaging anything.

You could try one of those brass rivet sets in your rivet gun set at a low pressure to drive them out. You may not be able to reuse the taper pins if this deforms them, but that shouldn?t happen. Douse the connection with WD40 or equivilent. Maybe an ice cube on the end of the taper pin for a minute would help too. Good luck!

I installed my tailwheel socket to the tailspring using taper pins several years ago. I need to remove the taper pins and socket. The pins seem to be very snug, tapping on them with a mallet did not move them. I tried pressing one of them out with a C clamp and a socket but still didn't move it. I didn't apply a whole lot of pressure. Just looking for any advice on techniques to get them out without damaging anything.

This will do it.... Use the pressure needed, it will come out.

Apply a good amount of pressure and then tap firmly on the end of the c clamp screw with a hammer.

Back