What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gascolator screws

N941WR

Legacy Member
Removing the screws on the gascolator is a challenge due to the screws being slotted and the limited space. Installing cap screws AKA socket head screws makes performing Gascolator maintenance much easier.

I replaced mine with the following pre-drilled (for safety wire) socket head (Allen wrench) screws from McMaster-Carr.

Here is what is listed on the box. You should be able to find them with this info:

10-24 x 1/4
Stainless 18-8
Socket Head
Drill head
SHS-10C008D2

Here is the link.

Last edited:
Bill, good tip.

Moved to the Ongoing Maintenance forum for ease of finding in the future.

Here is what is listed on the box. You should be able to find them with this info:

10-24 x 1/4
Stainless 18-8
Socket Head
Drill head
SHS-10C008D2

Here is the link.

Bill, are these for the blue Vans gascolator? It's been a couple months since my last condition inspection, but if I recall correctly, the screws on the blue gascolator are longer than 1/4". Also, the 10-24 coarse thread stainless ones from McMaster (90152A231 through 90152A235) don't come in lengths as short as 1/4".

If these aren't for the blue gascolator, does anyone happen to know the dimensions of the appropriate screw for the blue one?

Last edited:
Nord Lock Washers

I made the swap from slotted screws to socket head screws for easier maintenance of the gascolator, but made another improvement. It is hard to safety wire these small screws next to the firewall, so I used Nord Lock lockwashers under the screws. These are available in all regular sizes from ACS. Nord Locks are now supplied as the bolt locking system on Cleveland brakes instead of drilled bolts and safety wire. Cheap and reusable.

Back