What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

fluctuating rpm / map

mmcelrea

Hi.I have a new titan io370 with dual pmags, c/s prop and afp150 vertical induction fuel injection system. It runs fine apart from at 1150rpm when the rpm fluctuates between 1100-1200. Also when running at 2300rpm the map fluctuates by about 1". All other rpm settings seem stable in rpm and map. I'm guessing that at 2300 the governor is maintaining the rpm. Not sure if its a weird resonance or something else is going on. The engine is brand new and has around 4 hours flight time on the aircraft. Has anyone else experienced this issue and how did you solve it?
Thanks

The governor will not maintain 2300 rpm un less you set it to 2300rpm. If it is set for take off RPM then it will not kick in until you reach that RPM. So it is unlikely that the rpm is being maintained by the governor at 2300rpm.
What type of indications are u seeing? Electronically generated or steam gauges generated? can you hear the rpm change at 1150 or do you just see it on the tach?
Merry Christmas,
Mahlon

Last edited:
Does the EGT rise when the MP wanders at idle? According to Vic, (great webinar Vic!) you may have an intake leak. Just a thought.

-Marc

Do you have restrictors in your manifold pressure lines?

If not, the P-mag timing could be bouncing around, causing the fluctuations.

There is a restrictor in the manifold pressure line, I believe as supplied by Vans so i dont know if its small enough. It only fluctuates at 11-1200rpm and you can hear it change. From the garmin pilot app I can see that as the rpm decreases the map increases.
During flight when we set the rpm to 2300 its stable but the map fluctuates.
I haven't noticed the egt following any pattern.
The instrumentation is all garmin g3x.
Is it possible that there is something resonating at those frequencies?
Miller

You have 4 hours on this engine and you are already flying at 2300 RPM? Was it broken in on a test stand?

have you tried adjusting the mixture leaner, when it is doing it, to see if that will change anything?
Good Luck,
Mahlon

Hmmm...

On MAP irregularities: I know Van's provides "restricted" AN fittings for the Oil Pressure and Fuel Pressure -- didn't know about the MAP.

If you are using the parts that came in the IE VMP install kit, those are not sufficient to damp out the pulses seen in the MAP when connected to the #3 intake port.

You will need OMEGA Engineering Snubber or similar damping between the #3 intake port and the MAP sender (https://www.omega.com/en-us/sensors...g-accessories/pressure-snubbers/p/PS-SNUBBERS). Or, drill/tap another hole in the intake manifold and use that for the MAP source.

On RPM: How is the RPM being sensed? Mechanical tach/sensor to EFIS, or Ignition Box output to EFIS? I would obtain an optical tachometer (see omega engineering or sporty's or AC Spruce) and verify the numbers before doing anything else.

Good luck!

B

The rpm is sensed by the g3x from the digital tach signal output on the pmag. you can hear that the rpm is fluctuating and garmin pilot shows the fluctuations. I will probably change the restrictor or add a smaller one to try and damp out the fluctuations.
Could a resonance be caused in the vacuum tube to the mags causing the timing to go out at both 1150 and 2300rpm?
Are pmags more sensitive to vacuum?

The rpm is sensed by the g3x from the digital tach signal output on the pmag. you can hear that the rpm is fluctuating and garmin pilot shows the fluctuations. I will probably change the restrictor or add a smaller one to try and damp out the fluctuations.
Could a resonance be caused in the vacuum tube to the mags causing the timing to go out at both 1150 and 2300rpm?
Are pmags more sensitive to vacuum?

The quick way to check that theory is to disconnect the vacuum line from the pMag.

On MAP irregularities: I know Van's provides "restricted" AN fittings for the Oil Pressure and Fuel Pressure -- didn't know about the MAP.

If you are using the parts that came in the IE VMP install kit, those are not sufficient to damp out the pulses seen in the MAP when connected to the #3 intake port.

You will need OMEGA Engineering Snubber or similar damping between the #3 intake port and the MAP sender (https://www.omega.com/en-us/sensors...g-accessories/pressure-snubbers/p/PS-SNUBBERS). Or, drill/tap another hole in the intake manifold and use that for the MAP source.

I installed the Van's-supplied restrictor for MAP on #3 cylinder per the plans, connected to a Dynon-provided MAP XDCR, and it's been rock-solid for 700+ hours on a stock IO-360-M1B. (ETA BTW, that part you reference is steel, which tends to gall when used in aluminum parts).

Back