What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

static, pitot connections

bsacks05

Well Known Member
I'm gearing up to attach my static and pitot lines and am wondering which fittings to use.
I am thinking about using the tubing and fittings from ACS unless I get a better suggestion. I am using Van's flight instruments which require 3/8 fittings.
Any ideas?

Bruce
RV9

Safeair1

Check with Safeair1. They have some of the coolest connections available. I have them for my instruments.

I can attest to that. Operating ONLY on a similar post Darwin made here a few months ago, I immediately went to the SafeAir1 site and ordered their pitot/static kit, figuring Darwin knew what he was talking about. He did. The port is lovely, the quick connect/disconnect feature makes it a snap (literally to connect the tubes).

If you're trying to connect the aluminum tube to the plastic, they've also got a terrific fitting that makes that a breeze.

I've got a Van's static kit, by the way, if anyone wants it.

Thanks for the tip. It looks like what I need except for the static ports which are already installed in my -9. The Safeair kit seems to be well thought out and easy to install. I really just need the fittings and tubing since I have everything plumbed into the fuse already. Maybe the extra bits can be used on my next plane. :)

Bruce
N659DB

I found quick disconnect fittings at Lowes.. they seem very similar to the ones SafeAir sells, so convenience of local shopping won over it :) Quick disconnect is definitely a plus when dealing with these connections.

bsacks05 said:
Thanks for the tip. It looks like what I need except for the static ports which are already installed in my -9. The Safeair kit seems to be well thought out and easy to install. I really just need the fittings and tubing since I have everything plumbed into the fuse already. Maybe the extra bits can be used on my next plane. :)

Bruce
N659DB

Bruce-SafeAir1 is great to deal with. I bet if you asked for just the parts you needed that they would help you out. good luck.

pitot connection source

I purchased the SafeAir-1 Pitot Static kit but want to buy some connectors that did not come in the kit. Does anyone have a source for the push-on connectors used in these kits or does Bruce manufacture these connectors?

I use the standard 1/4 inch compression fittings as found in the Home Depot aviation department. Very compact, cheap, and leak free.

If you want to experiment, check out the fittings for ice makers and drip irrigation at your local hardware store. Barbed fittings (plastic) have worked great for me. I have used them for T fittings and also connecting to gauges. I tape the threads with ONE and 1/8th wrap of electrical tape. Screw in hand tight plus 1/4 turn..... then test.

Aquarium tubing is easy to use and has proven well in my application. All local hardware and very cheep and VERY light weight.

The Watts plastic pushlock fittings from the aviation section at Lowes have worked for me and multiple homebuilts in my area.

I used natural color tubing for static and the red stuff from Stein for pitot. Makes it easy to hook up without swapping lines.

Back