What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fabricating Strut Attach Angle

Rick_A

Well Known Member
Looking a couple of steps ahead to fabricating the F-1202Y Strut Attach Angles. The plans specify the hole sizes and locations based on measurements. However, since the holes need to line up with the pre-punched holes in the canopy ribs and associated nut plates, it would seem that match drilling would be more prudent.

I would like to hear how others have fabricated the Strut Attach Angles.

Thanks.

29-04 Step 4

Rick...

Consider using a double wing nut-plate jig 1/4 inch available from Brown Tool when manufacturing the canopy attach strut angle. Also drill #40 not 3/32. I machine countersunk the outboard face of the #40 rivets free hand as the guard on my tool would not fit within the angle. This piece should be primed.

NutplateTemplateTool.jpg

I tried drilling using the measurements without success.

Thanks.

Using a nut plate jig makes a lot more sense then working strictly from measurement.

It seems that getting the 1/4" hole at the exactly right height is also critical. My idea is to cleo the Canopy Rib to the Panel base and use the pre-punched #40 holes to define a center line on the Attach Angle.

Thanks also for the heads up on the #40 holes - not 3/32 as shown on the plans.

My idea is to cleo the Canopy Rib to the Panel base and use the pre-punched #40 holes to define a center line on the Attach Angle.

Rick... That should work. Since I had the privilege of repeating the step I had about a foot of angle to work with and so I just built the pieces using the fabrication tool and then dry fitted the pieces to see how they would work and they worked fine dry fitted and when riveted in place.

Jeff

Back