What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Blown fuses

Ex Bonanza Bucko

Well Known Member
I have a brand new S-LSA....24.5 hours TT. Today before start up and while checking the EFIS and fuel I had a 5 amp fuse blow in the EFIS. Have you ever had that happen and if so what caused it?

In the flight that followed that I had loud static on the new Garmin radio after climbing out of the pattern. It varied with engine speed so I concluded that it may have been an alternator problem. But the noise was stopped by shutting down the Avionics circuit briefly and re starting.

I am not an A&P nor a Radio guy. Do you have an input about either of these episodes?

Thanks,
EBB

Mitch:
I don't know but it may have been because I was doing a lot of learning how to use the EFIS and also loading Seattle Avionics stuff into it. If that was the reason for the blown fuse it would make sense.

....have any thoughts about the radio noise?

Thanks,
EBB

I asked about the SkyView backup battery being discharged because I seem to recall reading someplace that the SkyView could possibly blow a 5 amp fuse while trying to recharge an internal backup battery. I could be wrong about that. Maybe Dynon will read this and chime in.
No idea about the noise.
Mich (in my user name) was the abbreviation for Michigan years ago before the government came out with zip codes and two letter state abbreviations.
Joe Gores

I flew the airplane again yesterday and there was no problem....kinda sounds like your input about the discharged Dynon battery was correct. The radio noise did not recur either.
EBB:)

EBB,

How did your sectionals work on the Skyview?

Are you getting overlaid position etc on them as well as traffic and weather?

I think you can switch between the Dynon charts and the sectionals? :)

Top Cat:
Yep...all if that is working just fine. I find it easier to see the traffic, however, with the Skyview chart vice the sectional because it is less cluttered....we have a lot of traffic here in San Diego. The sectionals are better for seeing such stuff as vors and airports IMHO....sometimes a tower controller will tell you to "go to Poggi, a local VOR, and since there is no VOR instrument in the airplane it's nice to be able quickly to touch one on the sectional and go direct to it. I don't' use the Lo Alt IFR charts...no more of that after years and years of groping through the clouds....so I'm happy with what I have.
The airport diagrams are just super too.

Keith at Seattle Avionics was very helpful in getting me over the learning I need to have to use a PC after a very long time using Macs only....he did a super job. I think Seattle's charts and subscription service are great!
EBB:)

Just a quick note that we've just released SkyView 11.1, which has a fix for the issue that was causing a few of your 5A fuses to go. This is a bug-fix update only - there are no new features in this version over 11.0. As always, a full list of changes are available here. The software itself is on our SkyView downloads page.

I just installed 11.1 and I noticed that the ADS-B software seems better - I looked up from some work I was doing and saw it capturing all kinds of traffic - from the depth of the hangar, buried 2 planes deep....

I started hearing all these sirens, and heard later that P-51 Big Beautiful Doll did a planned gear up landing apparently...heard they were working on the problem for several minutes...wonder if one of these hits is him?

2cwn874.jpg

Back