What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nav position lights install

bhassel

Well Known Member
Is there any reason not to cutout the position light wingtip cutout before the wingtip skin is attached?

Bob

That's what I did. If there's a reason not to, I didn't discover it.

IMG_0377.jpg

Why is the nav/position light hole in the bottom wingtip skin so big? All it does is pass three small wires, yes?

Why is the nav/position light hole in the bottom wingtip skin so big? All it does is pass three small wires, yes?

Because it was designed to be a retrofitable installation since the lighting kit was initially available for early builders, or in instances where the airplane was initially built without, but added later. As long as the pull string specified in the wing manual was installed and tied off where specified, during the wing build, the prescribed hole provides enough access for pulling in the required wires.

Okay so it's specifically for a retrofit installation. Good to know, thanks.
What if, as in my case, I'm installing the nav light and wingtip extension as I'm closing out the wing tip bottom skin(s)? Wouldn't a 3/8" hole (or smaller?) and grommet fulfill the purpose?
Would that be considered a deviation from the plans and, if so, would it matter, since the hole (large or small), is covered up by the fiberglass wingtip extension and unlikely to be seen?

Much easier to cut before attachment and no downside.

Yes, of course. But if the bottom wingtip skin (W1204D) isn't riveted on yet, why would you even need the <big> template hole, when a small <easy> 3/8" hole will do?

Last edited:
There is a good reason

I had the same question when I was cutting those big holes - it didn't seem to make a lot of sense. However, I was wrong.

When you go to install the ground wire, you need to be able to install the wire and the retaining nut on the inside of the wing tip. You won't be able to install the ground wire per the plans if you don't have the large hole. I'm sure you could figure a way to install the ground wire without the big hole but then the connection would be totally inaccessible.

The large hole was also useful for deburring the holes you drill to mount the fiberglass mount and cleaning out drill shavings.

Last edited:
Waterboy2110: I checked your blog. Looks like you made a 2" circular hole? I like it. Did you find a suitable grommet? Kinda hard to tell from the picture. I notice that you're building EAB, which brings up the question of whether the hole would be "per the plans" for FAA/DAR/ELSA purposes.

I notice that you're building EAB, which brings up the question of whether the hole would be "per the plans" for FAA/DAR/ELSA purposes.

The answer is really pretty simple.... would the hole match what the plans say to do? If not, then it is not per plans. So it is obvious, the answer is no.

Would an inspector be able to see it wasn't? Probably not. Does that make it right? You will have to decide that one for your self......

I used a plastic "molded grommet strip" (that's what I found on line - I call it railroad track). It's on the Cessna where the plug wires go through the baffles. I did the two inch holes mostly because I didn't want to cut that much out and I put the lights together during close out. I've written everything down so it's documented but it is a deviation from the plans. I also used a twisted shielded pair for the strobes per the strobe mfg instructions.

Back