- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > Rocket
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2019, 10:50 AM

Default Long Legs

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 Rocket View Post
When I originally built my rocket I made an aluminum tab on the bottom of each gear leg fairing that I then clamped to the lower gear leg with a hose clamp. These tabs have broken, allowing the gear leg fairing to “float” vertically. The upper/lower intersection fairings hold the alignment very well. I’ve flown this way for many hours but now that I’m getting closer to returning the airplane to flying status I’m wondering if I should leave the gear leg fairings floating or make some new tabs.
Hey Danny,
My HR2's original fairings were home made and full of stress cracks from landing on my rough turf home strip and eventually rendered combat ineffective.
I contacted F1 Boss Mark and he sent me a set of Team Rocket fairings that I installed in the "float" mode using my wheel pant and upper leg fairings to hold in place. My upper leg fairings have a slot at the back to allow even more fore aft movement.
End game: No cracks.

V/R
Smokey
Old 12-13-2019, 08:26 PM

Nice looking rocket Smokey. How does well does the naca vent in that location work? Trying to decide on how to vent mine now.
Old Yesterday, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDOne View Post
Nice looking rocket Smokey. How does well does the naca vent in that location work? Trying to decide on how to vent mine now.
Thread drift.... sorry.

On my Rocket, the side NACA fuselage air was consistently 11F hotter than the air coming from under the wing to the back seat. My RV-4 was similarly hotter. I don't recommend the side NACA scoops.

However, getting the air from under the wing to the front is a challenge due to the spar being in the way.

YMMV!
www.flyboyaccessories.com
RV and Rocket Accessories, Tailwheels, Tools, & More
1-888-8FLYBOY (1-888-835-9269)

F4 Raider - under construction
F1-H Rocket "Crazy Horse" - sold
RV-4 "Chief Pontiac" - sold