What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-9A Autopilot install

norm_brud

I'm New Here
I am looking to buy a completed RV-9A but it does not have an autopilot. I am wondering about the approximate cost and effort involved to buy and install the 2 servos and wire it into the panel part of the autopilot. Can anyone give rough estimates?

Thanks

Do it yourself. It is pretty straightforward. I bought a 9A without an autopilot and installed a Trio Pro Pilot myself. I am not a builder.

The elevator servo required a shelf to be mounted on. That shelf sits behind the baggage area. Search for pics.

The roll servo mounts in the wing. You pull an access door and replace the control hinge with a mount kit; it is a simple bolt in affair.
http://trioavionics.com/RV Wing Mounting Bracket.pdf

The wiring from the control head to the servos must be run and secured which takes some time but not too much technical know how. You would likely be well served to buy a complete wiring harness from the autopilot manufacturer, a local avionics shop or someone like Stein on this site. You will also likely wish to couple the autopilot to a gps. You don't mention what gps it has but pull the wiring diagram for your gps and typically you will connect 2 or possibly 4 wires from the autopilot harness to the gps.

Last edited:
Does the aircraft you are looking at have a Dynon EFIS? If so, the installation just got easier and cheaper. Check the Dynon site for prices and installation instructions.

I can't speak for the trio, but Dynon and TruTrak are very straightforward installations and have brackets that mount in the -9A for pitch and roll. As was mentioned, running the wires to the servos is probably the biggest part of the job. Give me a call and I can talk through the options with you.

N941WR's comment about EFIS systems is something to be aware of. This will determine which specific AP options you have available. With the new EFIS systems that are on the market, most vendors have pulled the autopilot controls into the EFIS instead of having a separate "brain box" to control the AP servos. This really only matters in the specifics of which AP you add to the plane. The major installation items (servo mounting brackets, wiring to servos, etc..) will be very similar between the integrated/non-integrated installation. All the AP vendors provide installation kits that include pre-built servo mounting brackets.

If you get the plane and decide to add an AP, I have a TruTrak DigiFlight II VSGV that I'm needing to sell. This includes the brain box, and two servos. I believe the VSGV requires a GPS data source to operate. I switched avionics choices during the build and went with Dynon Skyview and AP instead of this system. PM me if you're interested.

Thanks to all for the advice, this sounds doable. The installation instructions from Trio Avionics are clear.

N941WR's comment about EFIS systems is something to be aware of. This will determine which specific AP options you have available. With the new EFIS systems that are on the market, most vendors have pulled the autopilot controls into the EFIS instead of having a separate "brain box" to control the AP servos. This really only matters in the specifics of which AP you add to the plane. The major installation items (servo mounting brackets, wiring to servos, etc..) will be very similar between the integrated/non-integrated installation. All the AP vendors provide installation kits that include pre-built servo mounting brackets.

If you get the plane and decide to add an AP, I have a TruTrak DigiFlight II VSGV that I'm needing to sell. This includes the brain box, and two servos. I believe the VSGV requires a GPS data source to operate. I switched avionics choices during the build and went with Dynon Skyview and AP instead of this system. PM me if you're interested.

Some folks prefer to have the AP control head completely separate from their EFIS, for the purposes of redundancy. The TruTrak VSGV, for instance, will keep the wings level and the altitude held, and remain completely usable for navigation even in the event of a complete failure of the EFIS.

Kurt raises a good point about safety. A separate autopilot head can keep wings level when the screens go dark.
Trio has legendary customer support. Trutrak is a great company as well.
The latest designs do concern me somewhat though. Controlling the elevator trim tab, instead of the control surface itself may be problematic.
Chelton tried it and then withdrew it from the market.
Pitch forces can become uncontrollable quite quickly in the event of a runaway servo motor. Full disclosure my 9A has both Trio and Trutrak...
Installation was a satisfying project.

Norm,
I'm just down the road at KLVK.
I have a Trio Pro in a -10, it flies an ILS (coupled to GRT) or an LPV approach a whole lot better than I can. And climb, enroute, descend; all I need do is rotate and flare.
IMHO the biggest installation challenge in a completed airplane is making the electrical and pitot static connectons behind the panel.
If your plane has electric trim, then the auto-trim option from Trio is a nice extra.
Let me know if you want to come down to LVK and see my installation, even though it's a different airfrane, of course.
Bob

Some folks prefer to have the AP control head completely separate from their EFIS, for the purposes of redundancy. The TruTrak VSGV, for instance, will keep the wings level and the altitude held, and remain completely usable for navigation even in the event of a complete failure of the EFIS.

Kurt raises a good point about safety. A separate autopilot head can keep wings level when the screens go dark.

While true, having the autopilot controlled by your EFIS has the advantage of the AP knowing which way is up and down, not to mention the ability to limit control reactions based on G loading, speeds etc.

For example, if you try to engage the AP while in an unusual attitude, if it is controlled by your EFIS, it may be able to right the plane and fly on. Some of the non-integrated AP's simply hold the current heading and airspeed, which may not be a good thing.

Get your popcorn out, this discussion can go on for hours!

While true, having the autopilot controlled by your EFIS has the advantage of the AP knowing which way is up and down, not to mention the ability to limit control reactions based on G loading, speeds etc.

For example, if you try to engage the AP while in an unusual attitude, if it is controlled by your EFIS, it may be able to right the plane and fly on. Some of the non-integrated AP's simply hold the current heading and airspeed, which may not be a good thing.

Get your popcorn out, this discussion can go on for hours!

Bill, what autopilot do you have in mind? Not the Trio Pro, which boots up to wings level and altitude hold mode, and contains g-limiting and airspeed (both too high and too low) limiting.

Bill, what autopilot do you have in mind? Not the Trio Pro, which boots up to wings level and altitude hold mode, and contains g-limiting and airspeed (both too high and too low) limiting.

Bob, I'm not going to get into specifics on either stand alone AP's or EFIS driven AP's. It is up to the installer / owner to do his/her research and select the AP that meets their requirements.

I'm just pointing out that there are advantages and disadvantages to both setups.

Back