What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prop Balance by Walt Aronow

GaryK

Well Known Member
Friend
I just wanted to give a big thumbs up to Walt for the job he did balancing my Hartzell CS prop at Petit Jean last weekend. There were so many planes on the ramp Saturday there was no place to do the required run ups. Walt hauled his equipment to the north end by the fuel pumps and set up shop. He did mine between rain showers and nailed it. My plane has been flying for 8 years and has a little over 1100 hours. This is the 3rd prop balance, first at 100 hours and second at 600 hours. I don't remember the before and after numbers, Walt is sending me the report. It started pouring just as we got the cowl back on. I can tell you it was a smoother ride back to Michigan.

Thanks again Walt.

Gary
N715AB

And thanks Gary for giving me an opportunity to work on your airplane!
I have already mailed the hard copies but here's a sneak preview.
It started at 0.124 IPS which is not terrible but with one run we had it to 0.025 IPS.

715ab.jpg

The spectrum analysis also looks fine, no anomalies:

715abspec.png

Walt is the best.
He has helped us along the way for many years in all facets and the prop balance, Instrument testing and the like, plus his knowledge of general aviation is always top notch.

Walt is also the best when you get all crazy and want to add a second 10" SkyView display into your RV-12! He hooked me up !

He's the best! Thanks, Walt!

Walt is also the best when you get all crazy and want to add a second 10" SkyView display into your RV-12! He hooked me up !

He's the best! Thanks, Walt!

The problem is all the great panels I get to work on/sell now has me thinking it may be time to put one of those big Skyviews in my own aircraft!

Prop Balancing Question for Walt

Walt what is your view on wood prop balancing with three re-torquing per year that I do in the Northwest?

Is it worth the effort and $$$???

Thanks

Mike Bauer
RV6 N918MB O-360C1A Woody

Walt what is your view on wood prop balancing with three re-torquing per year that I do in the Northwest?

Is it worth the effort and $$$???

Thanks

Mike Bauer
RV6 N918MB O-360C1A Woody

YES and YES

Re-torqueing will make no difference, prop should be "parked" in a horizontal position during non-use.

Another happy and balanced customer

Walt did my prop balance last Saturday and now that I've flown it a couple of times, I'm a believer! My only regret is that I didn't have it done sooner. Went from 0.254 to 0.027 in 3 runs and it's noticeably smoother.

Took about an hour. Only had to remove the top cowl. The spinner stays on and the balance bolts are attached to the holes in the flywheel.

Back