What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us a picture of your RV-10 progress.

Still a ways from an airplane, but progress nonetheless:

Attachments

• IMG_0039.jpg
    IMG_0039.jpg
    395.3 KB · Views: 494
  • IMG_0040.jpg
    IMG_0040.jpg
    394.1 KB · Views: 432
  • IMG_0041.jpg
    IMG_0041.jpg
    474.8 KB · Views: 475
I debated this and I know they can affect flight characteristics. But, I wanted reduced drag for engine cooling. Glad I did, my CHT's were 389-402. Not sure what they would have been with increased drag without pants. It flew pretty well. A little left yaw. I'll take them off later after CHT's come down with more break-in time.

Randy - congrats first off. I flew my first flight without wheel pants because they were not complete and it was too cold out to work on them. THey absolutely did bring temps down once i put them on. Your CHTs are perfectly normal. 350-400 is ideal.

Because a few people had asked, here is the latest on my fuselage (see attached photo). This shows the right mid skin drilled off and I have since removed the left skin as well. Also the floor skins from baggage to the front seat are off and, after this photo was taken, the left skin removed. So I guess you could say this is an anti-progress photo. I still have to remove the bottom skin aft of the main spar. Under the RV, you can see the lift that failed. It has since been partially disassembled and I'm waiting for a forklift to be available to disassemble the rest.

The good news is that the structure was Ok, except for the skin doublers. You can see the right one in place in the photo; what won't be apparent is the wrinkle just behind the F1004K (the yoke doubler over the spar). The bottom skin can be mostly straightened by putting supports under the tail section, lifting the tail about 3/8", which probably means the tail was sagging that much after the lift failure and barely shows a digital level along the longerons. The skin will have to be replaced anyway, due to sharp wrinkling just behind the forward skin on both sides. Fortunately, I won't have to disassemble the entire forward fuselage (I bought parts with that possibility in mind).

The plan, once the lift is gone, is to support the tail cone at the proper height, remove the mid bottom skin and do a final inspection of all the structure. Then, replace the skin doublers followed by the bottom skins and then the side skins. Once that is done, the supports will be removed from the tail cone and the structure assessed once again. Assuming no problems, the steps will be reinstalled and the floors will go back in, putting me back where I was before this all happened three years ago. Why so long? Because I was called back to teaching full time after the death of a faculty member and because I had just started the panel change in my RV-6A. Life happens but if we persevere, things eventually get done.

The lift is going to someone who wants to put the effort into upgrading it from the original jackscrew design to the company's chain hoist retrofit. I'm not going to trust a lift again, though I will say that the company has been very helpful with information and ideas.

Attachments

• IMG_1790s.jpg
    IMG_1790s.jpg
    486.5 KB · Views: 606
Back from paint

Attachments

• 95AC3F6A-A217-4A19-80B8-C3E300AC0BEF.jpg
    95AC3F6A-A217-4A19-80B8-C3E300AC0BEF.jpg
    358 KB · Views: 613
Yesterday was a big day for N783V! She got her Special Airworthiness Certificate!

The D.A.R. was great! If you're anywhere near Central Texas (San Antonio area) I highly recommend Boyd Kempf for FAA inspection. He's retired from FAA and knows his stuff. Plus, he had a very "helpful" spirit and attitude. He found some squawks, but we were able to correct before he left.

Today is 1st flight! It's 5:44 am, headed to airport for approx 7:30 am flight for the cooler a.m. temps.

Thank you Les Bourne! My EAA tech counselor, mentor and friend for ALL the knowledge and help to make this happen!!

Congrats Randy!

חביבי, הערסים מניחים את הזרוע על אדן החלון.
סיגריה ביד ומטים את המושב לאחור, יעני, "נהגי מירוצים" אז, אנא, פעל בהתאם.....

Hi everyone!

I'm part of the COVID-19 building boom due to increased Working From Home and also the elimination of a lot of travel time. Hopefully things get back to normal ASAP, but in the mean time I'll be building fast!

Looks like I ran out of clecos so I'll be down for a few days before I can get to the top skins :( I don't think I can space them out any more than this and risk causing an error.

IMG_6281 .jpg

IMG_6283.jpg

RV-10 Build Photo Folder

Hi all. Here's a Google folder that I'm dropping photos in as I go.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1qne5V9mhy4eIPlQyddSzye_yP4es5SFh

I've spent more time getting my shop organized than building so far. Spent the weekend building a spray booth so I could safely prime with epoxy primer over the winter. Primed my first parts yesterday and the booth worked well. Also moved my compressor to the attic and plumbed the shop for compressed air. So much more pleasant without the compressor noise.

Any and all advice, feedback and builder tips welcome.

David,
NICE WORK! Wow! I can tell you are going to have a quality built plane on your hands!

Thanks Randy. Means a lot coming from a pro! Have been admiring your build and checked out your Google photo gallery yesterday as a matter of fact.

Any words of wisdom that helped you land a Reserve Grand Champion and Bronze Lindy? Is there a list someplace that outlines what judges are looking for in a quality build?

While I'm not focused on building to win an award, I do want to make this thing as safe as possible and protect my investment with quality workmanship. My guess is awards, safety and value are all related.

Any words of wisdom that helped you land a Reserve Grand Champion and Bronze Lindy? Is there a list someplace that outlines what judges are looking for in a quality build?

Here's what I learned from Sun N Fun and Osh judging. Judges look for "quality of build" and "innovation". Though judges are very tight lipped about what they are specifically looking at, here's what I observed. For quality of build they look at rivets, alignment and gaps very closely. For alignment, they want the wing tips, ailerons, and flaps (in reflex) to all line up in a straight line and at bottom of fuse (not below) when done. They also look at elevators. Make sure you have both flush with horizontal stabilizer. You'd be surprised how many don't line up. Also they look at gap lines between control surfaces. Make sure they are gapped properly and straight. They also look at even and uniform paint gap in cowling lines. This took me FOREVER to get straight! Be patient and you will get there.

For innovation, not sure exactly what they value. I have many "innovations" but most were not my idea or build. For example, Aerosport center console and throttle quadrant. It wasn't per plans, but I didn't build it either. So, not sure what they value or not....

And lastly, quality paint! At Sun N Fun, of the awards given, most every award winner had Evoke Aviation involved in some way. Jonathan either designed their paint scheme, painted the plane, or both. He's not cheap, but he is good!

In case you haven't see it, here's a video tour of my plane. You can see from it how good Jonathan did on the paint.

https://youtu.be/DT0xSpBLDkU

From the pics on your build, it looks like you pay very close attention to detail. Keep it going till the end and I'll bet you win an award too!

Here's what I learned from Sun N Fun and Osh judging. Judges look for "quality of build" and "innovation". Though judges are very tight lipped about what they are specifically looking at, here's what I observed. For quality of build they look at rivets, alignment and gaps very closely. For alignment, they want the wing tips, ailerons, and flaps (in reflex) to all line up in a straight line and at bottom of fuse (not below) when done. They also look at elevators. Make sure you have both flush with horizontal stabilizer. You'd be surprised how many don't line up. Also they look at gap lines between control surfaces. Make sure they are gapped properly and straight. They also look at even and uniform paint gap in cowling lines. This took me FOREVER to get straight! Be patient and you will get there.

For innovation, not sure exactly what they value. I have many "innovations" but most were not my idea or build. For example, Aerosport center console and throttle quadrant. It wasn't per plans, but I didn't build it either. So, not sure what they value or not....

And lastly, quality paint! At Sun N Fun, of the awards given, most every award winner had Evoke Aviation involved in some way. Jonathan either designed their paint scheme, painted the plane, or both. He's not cheap, but he is good!

In case you haven't see it, here's a video tour of my plane. You can see from it how good Jonathan did on the paint.

https://youtu.be/DT0xSpBLDkU

From the pics on your build, it looks like you pay very close attention to detail. Keep it going till the end and I'll bet you win an award too!

Randy had a spectacular airplane. And I second his recommendation to use Jonathan at PlaneSchemers/Evoke for the design and paint.

Here is a link to the EAA judging standards manual - https://www.eaa.org/airventure/eaa-...~/media/3af9f4ae6ae940949b7cfbfcbd953322.ashx

Tailcone Attached!

About a week ago I completed the tailcone attach steps, and am now embroiled in a lot of decisions about conduit and wiring runs! Also working on part of the brake lines and preparing for rudder pedal installation.

I've spent a ton of money in the last two weeks on fuel system parts, brake system parts, electrical supplies, and general hardware and doo-dads.

It's a real shift from primarily sheet metal work to starting to install systems!

Pics fixed...

20211230_135833_HDR-1024x488.jpg

20211230_135847-488x1024.jpg

20211230_135954_HDR-1024x488.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome progress!

We should be exchanging ideas!

I am at the same exact point and I am also spending a small fortune on lots of parts.

The decisions almost seem overwhelming....sure hope I am making the "right" choices.

Strong work!

Status after 2 years

In january 2019 i started setting up the workshop, empennage kit arrived in spring. Quickbuild wings and fuselage arrived in September 2020....waiting for finish kit and engine. Incredible experience and enjoying a lot...including the fun of inventing new ways of swearing in different languages.:D

Attachments

• IMG_0155.jpeg
    IMG_0155.jpeg
    73.2 KB · Views: 371
  • IMG_2293.jpeg
    IMG_2293.jpeg
    130.3 KB · Views: 341
  • IMG_2494.jpeg
    IMG_2494.jpeg
    135.3 KB · Views: 413
  • IMG_2808.jpeg
    IMG_2808.jpeg
    123.4 KB · Views: 370
  • IMG_2809.jpeg
    IMG_2809.jpeg
    95.3 KB · Views: 391
  • IMG_2864.jpeg
    IMG_2864.jpeg
    119.9 KB · Views: 381
  • IMG_2866.jpeg
    IMG_2866.jpeg
    101.9 KB · Views: 353
It's an Airplane!

After 3975 hours over 36 non-consecutive months, N10KE is officially an airplane.

Many thanks to DAR Vern Darley, for his thorough inspection today while he was being "inspected" by the local FAA FSDO representative.

Now to finish re-assembly and get on with Phase 1!

Way to go Krea! Huge milestone! Very happy for you and am always impressed when someone sees their project across the finish line!

Anxious to start

Not much motivation here. Waiting to clear out garage and move this from hangar to house.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230112_173153_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230112_173153_Gallery.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 163
Got a crating date

But not one that's very soon.

Attachments

• 20230112status.jpg
    20230112status.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 207
What date was your order placed, for this crating date? Very recently or some time ago? As this seems to be the same as the current Van’s lead time but I am aware it fluctuates frequently

I ordered in late November 2022. The crating date has slipped even more, now estimated July 28-August 18 2023. Hard to get excited or motivated at this point. :(

I ordered in late November 2022. The crating date has slipped even more, now estimated July 28-August 18 2023. Hard to get excited or motivated at this point. :(

Thanks for the info. My order placed on the 23rd January, and waiting for an update on the order as I’m told someone called Jake is out of the office so can’t type up my order. Before placing the order I was worried the lead time would come forward too quickly and I wouldn’t be ready but it sounds like this is unlikely and now despite having plenty of workshop prep to do I’m already feeling impatient wanting to get started!

Similar boat... Ordered Mid October! Received update email to expect mid-July crating and now I log in and see the same late-July to mid-August crating. Wonder if it has anything to do with the SB from last week and new hinge brackets.

Oh well, hopefully it will be waiting for me when we get back from OSH!

Do I need butter? :p

Can't exactly tell from the pic, but it looks like you could radius the most forward edge of the forward flange a bit more aggressively to give you some more breathing room.

On the -14, Section 6 (Vertical Stab), this is specifically mentioned:
Step 6: Radius the corners at the forward end of the
VS-705 Nose Rib and VS-706 Tip Rib flanges to
ease fit when the skins are installed. See Figure 2
and Section 5.2.

Similar boat... Ordered Mid October! Received update email to expect mid-July crating and now I log in and see the same late-July to mid-August crating. Wonder if it has anything to do with the SB from last week and new hinge brackets.

Oh well, hopefully it will be waiting for me when we get back from OSH!

I was in the same boat... Van's sent me on a little bit of a rollercoaster. I ordered on 9/26/22, and it was originally intended to crate April-May of this year... and then it got moved to Jul 9 2023 - Jul 30 2023 earlier this month... and on this Monday it got moved to Jan 30 2023 - Feb 24 2023... Submitted remainder my payment yesterday, hopefully you get a similar email soon!

I was in the same boat... Van's sent me on a little bit of a rollercoaster. I ordered on 9/26/22, and it was originally intended to crate April-May of this year... and then it got moved to Jul 9 2023 - Jul 30 2023 earlier this month... and on this Monday it got moved to Jan 30 2023 - Feb 24 2023... Submitted remainder my payment yesterday, hopefully you get a similar email soon!

What!?!? Rollercoaster indeed! Congrats!

Tailcone and Empennage

A somewhat older impression of the horizontal stabilizer plus some very recent progress, the tailcone is almost finished. The day to put everything together seems not too far away.

Attachments

• hs_almost_complete.jpg
    hs_almost_complete.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 118
  • tailcone_almost_complete_02.jpg
    tailcone_almost_complete_02.jpg
    519.8 KB · Views: 133
  • tailcone_almost_complete_01.jpg
    tailcone_almost_complete_01.jpg
    429.3 KB · Views: 147
Section 6 complete

Just completed the vertical stabilizer! Took 45.4 man-hours. Definitely underestimated how much work this is going to be!

roG9FhVngbTH

Attachments

• IMG_6478.jpg
    IMG_6478.jpg
    319.5 KB · Views: 95
not much action on this page/thread so i thought I'd add some. Started build on an existing kit in January of 2021. Realized that I was WAY out of my comfort zone with building this project. So summer of 2022, I was talking with the A&P who also is a CFII and who taught me to fly, about my project. He suggested that i move it to his shop where we'd work on it together. He built his RV-8 and has just completed a Legend Cub. He's meticulous to the point of driving me crazy but that's exactly what i need.
Hope this pics help someone with motivation! The last picture is my scheme by way of Chris Teague with Evoke. They're awesome guys to work with.

Attachments

• 12.8.9 BEST.jpg
    12.8.9 BEST.jpg
    539.9 KB · Views: 25
  • Wings in cradle.jpg
    Wings in cradle.jpg
    572.5 KB · Views: 25
  • prop in house.  Using Harzell carbon fiber 3 blade.jpg
    prop in house. Using Harzell carbon fiber 3 blade.jpg
    651.5 KB · Views: 19
  • AeroSport panel.jpg
    AeroSport panel.jpg