What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Planning for Next Life Phase

dbuds2

Well Known Member
One thing I've learned while building the RV8 is that I love the sense of accomplishment and the creation with my unique solutions. I may be financially fortunate enough to be able to leave my current career in the next couple years.

What products or services related to building RV's is not available or not beneficial enough for you to part with you hard earned money. I'd like to start evaluating the ideas for a potential business. Look forward to a list of problems you'd pay to have solved.;)

I would focus on helping people convert their engines from 100LL burning to Autogas with ethanol burning. Not so much the physical work but supply the full fuel system and knowledge for the conversion.

I hear a lot of calls for a better RV-12 fuel tank, and there is no shortage of people that didn't seem to enjoy bending longerons very much, but if there was something I'd be willing to buy, it would be pre-dimpled K1000-08 nutplates.

ideas for next phase of life...

....because my wife found out these exist and wants one in our next plane:

Figure out a way to:

a) build into a new RV during construction
b) retrofit into an existing RV

a BRS that doesn't eat up all the baggage area or throw the CG so outta whack, it's almost guaranteed you'll use it one day! Oh, and the final install has to be pretty...not like another one I saw recently in a web article....woof!! :)

My wife saw the BRS systems and also wondered why all planes don't have them. After I explained that there are scant few situations where having one is preferable to having more fuel, more baggage space, better maintenance practises, or simply good pilotage in the first place, she agreed that one wasn't needed.

(yes, it took longer than that to explain, but that's the gist of it)

My wife saw the BRS systems and also wondered why all planes don't have them. After I explained that there are scant few situations where having one is preferable to having more fuel, more baggage space, better maintenance practises, or simply good pilotage in the first place, she agreed that one wasn't needed.

(yes, it took longer than that to explain, but that's the gist of it)

Almost makes you wonder how we ever managed to survive this long without them in the air.... :cool:

Almost makes you wonder how we ever managed to survive this long without them in the air....

That's false reasoning. The point is that many DIDN'T survive this long. It's like saying "we all surivived before there were airbags in cars". In fact we did not ALL survive, and that's why they were invented.

On the specific issue of BRS, however, I have no strong opinion since I haven't studied it. It seems like a neat idea, and would make me feel warm and fuzzy to have one, but as has been pointed out I'm not sure it would be practical or worth the cost in weight.

Back