What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

F-1070 Side Skin Crack

berck

I sent a message to Vans as well, but figured input from everywhere won't hurt.

I thought that rolling the mid side skins went well, but while deburring them today, it became apparent that it did not go well.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/0ozNnSGeycsxgOaj2

I simply stop-drilled the end of the crack, then removed all the cracked material so that I could properly debur in case cracks started the other way. The last photo is my repair attempt.

Is this okay, or should I replace the skin? I had similar problems with the forward skins and replaced them, but these are going to be more expensive and are probably going to cost a small fortune to ship.

I'm leaning toward going with my repaired skin, but if that's a terrible idea I'll replace it.

I have no idea why Vans couldn't have rolled these skins for us like they did the tail cone skins.

I think structurally that's Ok, and it's not in a location that will be too apparent (though everyone here on VAF now knows where to look :D). This kind of cracking tends to happen when people try to make the bend at the apex and it's too sharp. If you haven't done the other side yet (and for those who haven't done this), start your bend a little down from the absolute apex. Not much, but you're leaving room for bending radius. Don't try to make the bend 90 degrees right at the bending fixture. Bend a little and then readjust the fixture closer to the apex and then bend a little more. When you cleco the skin in place, it will finish the bend for you, which is better than what the instructions call for because the bend shouldn't be THAT sharp.

The other side came out fine. When I redid the forward skins, I did what you suggested. Originally, here was a bit of a crease from the c-clamp the plans call for on that end on the forward skins, so I left out the c-clamp. I also did what you suggested and moved the apex. Also ignored the hammering suggestions in the plans.

Back