What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Copper Line/Air compressor

Paul Thomas

Well Known Member
After a four year hiatus (three from law school), I'm going to be back to building. I'm in the process of building a house and will be set up the new "factory" inside the house; no more sweating in the garage!

I'm planning to leave the air compressor inside the garage and run copper lines to that room since pvc is not a good options. I am planning on a drain line in the garage and another one in the factory. The copper pipping will be isolated from the compressor via a short flexible hose.

Any tips for the installation or words of wisdom?

Thanks,

Paul

not PVC?

Not sure why you say PVC is not a good option. I've had PVC air piping in my shop for more than 10 years with no leaks or problems. Low cost and easy to hang.

Good idea to put the lines in with an up-hill slant away from your water trap to encourage water to run back to the trap. You don't want the low point to be at the using end. I also like to make the T fitting for line taps point up and then come down with elbows. I helps keep a little more liquid in the line and out of your hose. Water in your air tools will ruin them quickly. Longer air line runs will do a better job of condensing the water vapor out of suspension which is generally a good thing, except if the drops get to your air tools.

spark68

Not sure why you say PVC is not a good option. I've had PVC air piping in my shop for more than 10 years with no leaks or problems. Low cost and easy to hang.
spark68

Even though I had PVC air lines in my shop when I was building the RV-6 I wouldn't use it again. The failure scenario involves a cloud of very sharp shrapnel when/if the PVC lets go. There are safer options.

Sadly, asav8tor's post makes a lot of sense to me. Not because I fear the fine folks at VAF suing others, but because there are no provisions in residential building codes for running compressed air piping inside the residence. Add the fact that piping from the garage into the house likely penetrates a firewall, and I would fear a homeowners' insurance or liability policy could swiftly deny any claim that could be reasonably (or remotely) associated with the compressed air piping.

If you decide to go this route, I would think it would be wise to leave the piping un-pressurized, except when actually in use.

There is a building code prohibiting the use of PVC for permanently installed air lines in San Diego County. Found that out during hangar construction.

Apparently PVC can "creep" under pressure, and also ages and gets brittle.

Hoping a real expert will chime in now...........

Sadly, asav8tor's post makes a lot of sense to me. Not because I fear the fine folks at VAF suing others, but because there are no provisions in residential building codes for running compressed air piping inside the residence. Add the fact that piping from the garage into the house likely penetrates a firewall, and I would fear a homeowners' insurance or liability policy could swiftly deny any claim that could be reasonably (or remotely) associated with the compressed air piping.

If you decide to go this route, I would think it would be wise to leave the piping un-pressurized, except when actually in use.

Regarding pressure in copper lines, our central air conditioning lines, which penetrate into the home.............are holding far more pressure, than we'll see from an air compressor (possibly 300-400 PSI). It is refrigeration rated copper, and silver-solder brazed joints.

Copper

I ran 1/2" copper in my shop 3 years ago. I also hung a reel with a 50' 3/8" hose on the ceiling above my bench (I have a 12' ceiling). To that I added a tee and ran two 10' 1/4" lines off it. These lines then hang from the ceiling and when I need more line I just pull on the and the 3/8" hose reels out. If I were to do it again I would do exactly the same.

I am happy with PEX for my feeds from the compressor to the various drops. It's flexible and very easy to work with. If it were to "rupture" it would simply split and not flying pieces. My tank is at 175psi. My lines usually run at 120psi. I do the last drop at the paint booth and at the ends of my drops (or the tool). Like Mark, I do have one 50' reel that is used a lot.
You can "roll your own" or use on of the kits from RapidAir, Maxline, etc.

Last edited:
When I was building the Cozy MKIV in the basement, I just left the compressor in the garage and put a small hole in the wall and ran the 50' air hose into the basement. I never left the compressor "ON" when I was not in the basement shop and always disconnected the airline at the compressor when the day was done. Simple patch in the drywall when I was done with the basement and built an outbuilding/shop behind the house.

"law school"..........

um...... who wants to give advice and get sued.......:(

crickets.......
thumb.jpg

Thanks all! I thought about just using hoses but I don't know how well they'd fare in a hot FL attic. Anyone has experience with them in HOT spaces over the long term?
"law school"..........

um...... who wants to give advice and get sued.......:(

crickets.......
Who said I graduated? :p

... Add the fact that piping from the garage into the house likely penetrates a firewall, and I would fear a homeowners' insurance or liability policy could swiftly deny any claim that could be reasonably (or remotely) associated with the compressed air piping.
No firewalls to worry about in FL from the garage. I can just run it up into the attic and then it's a direct shot to "factory" from there. Electric and plumbing typically uses the same route.

Regarding pressure in copper lines, our central air conditioning lines, which penetrate into the home.............are holding far more pressure, than we'll see from an air compressor (possibly 300-400 PSI). It is refrigeration rated copper, and silver-solder brazed joints.
I was going to go to home depot and buy copper lines but my girlfriend's father manages an AC company :D

Good choice counselor.:rolleyes:
It's copper for me everywhere except for the flexible hose connection to the air tools.
Hoses work ok but have a pretty short life until they start slow leaks. No such problems with copper lines.

Back