VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-24-2018, 08:10 PM

Default Hangar space at at GEG?

Update - 06/26 - The aircraft is now in a T-hangar at it's new home, KMWH.

===================================

Short version: does anyone have a line on hangar space for a few days at Spokane, KGEG to help with an AOG situation?

Long version:
My wife and I were on the last leg of a great trip ferrying our RV-8 from Ottawa, Canada to Moses Lake, WA. As we approached Spokane, I noted that the #3 CHT was about 25° higher than it had been all trip. As I watched it, it kept slowly increasing, then started increasing much quicker.

I quickly decided to divert to GEG, and the CHT hit 435 before I pulled the power back to descend. We taxied to Signature and shutdown. I noted quite a bit of oil dripping after we exited the aircraft.

The tools I had with me weren’t sufficient to troubleshoot or pull a cylinder, so we elected to grab a one way car rental to allow us to get home tonight. I’ll come back tomorrow AM to meet with an A&P to help me figure out what is up.

The odds seem slim that this will be a quick fix, so I would likely be looking for hangar space for a few days. Does anyone have a line in hangar space?

Thanks,

Kevin Horton
kevin01@kilohotel.com
http://www.kilohotel.com/rv8/

Last edited by Kevin Horton : 06-26-2018 at 03:53 PM.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:50 AM

I'm over on the wet side of the state... But, might be worth posting your request in FATPNW.

www.facebook.com/groups/FATPNW

I copied your request there to see if I can find something for ya.

Last edited by MercFE : 06-25-2018 at 10:00 AM.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:05 AM

Neil Wischer might be able to help. I think he lives in Coulee City, which is a ways away, but he may know someone. I'll see if I have some contact info on him.
IO-360 A1A
WW 200RV
"The Magic Carpet"
Hobbs 515 in 9 years (would have flown more this year if not for fire smoke)
also LS-6-15/18 sailplane
VAF donation Dec 2017
Old 06-25-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercFE View Post
I'm over on the wet side of the state... But, might be worth posting your request in FATPNW.

www.facebook.com/groups/FATPNW

I copied your request there to see if I can find something for ya.
Thanks! I wasnít aware of this group. Iíve asked to join it.
Old 06-25-2018, 02:07 PM

Hi Kevin. Sorry for your plight!

This may not be of much help, but you might call Jack Hohner, the president of the KSFF EAA chapter. He helped me at Felts over Christmas with hangar space and they may have a chapter member at GEG who might know of something. If by chance your plane is ferry-able, you might find KSFF to be a good place for a fix as it’s quite a bit more GA, experimental, and RV friendly.

All that said I’m about a 20 minute flight from Moses Lake and go to Spokane frequently to see family so if I can be of any help presently or in the future please let me know. I have summers off so I may very well be available for help, tools, or shuttle flights.

I’ll pm you a couple phone numbers. Hope things may already be working out.

Donation reminder: Jan. 2019
Old 06-25-2018, 02:47 PM

I've already copied your post into FATPNW. Standard answers about GEG not being the best place for a hangar, SFF would be possible.

Once I get your membership approved, I'll tag you in the post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Horton View Post
Thanks! I wasnít aware of this group. Iíve asked to join it.
Old 06-25-2018, 08:32 PM

Default I'll ask around

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsmith View Post
Neil Wischer might be able to help. I think he lives in Coulee City, which is a ways away, but he may know someone. I'll see if I have some contact info on him.
I'm actually about 30 miles west at 68S Davenport. I don't know anyone based at GEG, but I put the word out to some people that may. -Neil
Old 06-25-2018, 09:21 PM

I spent the day at KGEG today, working with an experienced A&P to check things out. His diagnosis was that while #4 cylinder had quite low compression, the borescope saw nothing that lead him to believe that the engine wouldn't get me to KMWH (about a 30 minute flight). The other three cylinders had good compression.

I think I understand why the #3 CHT suddenly started climbing rapidly yesterday - the significant blow-by on #4 had blown about 3 quarts of oil out the breather, which reduced the amount of oil being splashed around, thus affecting lubrication of the pistons and cylinders. #3 started getting warm due low lubrication, and eventually the piston expanded enough to start making contact with the cylinder, at which point the CHT started rising quickly.

I topped up the oil, and I'll keep a very close eye on the engine indications as I climb overhead KGEG. If things look good after I'm at altitude, I'll make a dash for KMWH. The wind was higher than I liked today (gusting over 30 kt), given I've hardly flown the aircraft in the last six months, but tomorrow looks more promising for the ferry to Moses Lake. I'll put the aircraft down after arrival, and attack the #4 cylinder blow by issue.
Old 06-26-2018, 03:56 PM

I got a ride to KGEG late this morning, by a coworker heading home to MT for a few days in his C210. The RV-8 flight from KGEG to KMWH was uneventful. Now I need to track down a good, local A&P to help me sort out the #4 cylinder. I'll make that quest the subject of a new thread.