VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > Glass Cockpit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What G3X Touch training do you want most at OSH?
CAN Bus planning/installation 23 40.35%
EIS/Airframe Configuration 20 35.09%
GTN/GNS Integration 26 45.61%
Calibration (Fuel/AHRS/AOA/etc) 20 35.09%
Troubleshooting tips- Data bus, error logs, etc. 16 28.07%
Databases and software 9 15.79%
System architecture 17 29.82%
Other: See my post! 6 10.53%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-28-2018, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoCardinal View Post
Congratulations Katie. Best of luck.
Does Garmin ever offer free training at their home locations?
Thanks!

We don't offer free training in Olathe, but we do offer 2-day paid pilot courses. Oshkosh is definitely the place to go for free training! (well... as "free" as anything can be at OSH! )
Jabiru J200 flying after restoration and new panel!
Old 04-28-2018, 11:29 PM

+1 on training. I invested in an all Garmin panel for my RV-8 built by Aerotronics; basically a G3X with G5 backup; GTR200; GTX45; etc. Getting some glass panel training in a Cessna 172G1000 and Redbird Simulator, but want to get more familiar with the ins & outs of the G3X touch, G5 and the operation, integration and customization of my setup. I'll be at OSH, and probably attend a number of your training sessions. Is the two day course you mentioned on building a G3X panel, or operating one? I had a friend who attended the assembly course, and learned a lot from it... but what I need is hands-on practice with the working system.
RV-8 #83507 - empennage complete (except fiberglass)
QB wings & fuselage work continues
N657AR reserved
Builder websites:
http://goatflieg.blogspot.com/
http://www.mykitlog.com/goatflieg/
YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/goatflieg
Dues paid for 2018... extra payment included for psychological therapeutic services rendered.

Have you ever gotten the feeling you were smarter than you could ever prove?
Old 04-29-2018, 07:07 PM

Default +1 For training on how to use

The online videos are too simplistic for such advanced avionics. Example: How to integrate Garmin Pilot app with the G3X....
Old 04-30-2018, 05:41 PM

Katie,

I've designed my RV-10 panel, purchased all the G3X LRUs that I could fit plus more, have the panel cut and will be putting it all together over the next few months. It should be a great IFR panel when finished that will likely take me years to fully master.

I could also use some recommendations as to best mounting locations and methods for all of the remote LRUs in the system.

During planning, the areas that I struggled to find good information on when planning my G3X install in the RV-10 was antenna placements and spacings, mounting locations for the magnetometer (GMU-11)and now with the new GMU-11 how can I test it for magnetic interference once I have it installed?

I gained a lot of info on wiring the G3X system in the AEA class last year, so don't really need that. But information that helps me with set-up and calibration of all the inputs would really help.

Thanks for asking the question, and thanks to the G3X crew for providing excellent support through Air Venture, G3Xpert on VAF, and phone support.

Hope to see you at Oshkosh

RV-10 Finishing Kit & FWF in-progress
2018 VAF Dues Paid
Old 05-28-2018, 06:10 PM

Exclamation How to get rid of Red X's

I have been flying with my Garmin G3X system for a few years and it has worked great. I installed autopilot servos this past winter and again all has worked well, right up to the weekend before SnF. I flew to a buddies field with everything working great. When I flew home the autopilot servos kicked off several times then I started getting Red X's on my PDF. I was planning to fly to SnF and the weather looked like it was going to be good. I have a backup Dynon D10a and a backup Garmin Aera 510 GPS. I started troubleshooting the day or two before launching to SnF. I disconnected every plug and re-seated them, nothing helped. My buddy and I flew to SnF with the G3X flashing Red X's on both the PDF and MFD all the way there and back. I talked to the G3Xperts while there and after I got back. They said everything was pointing to a bad canbus signal, I wasn't sold on that. I was away with work for a month and could not do anything till I got back. When I got back I had figured out my plan to tackle this. The first thing I did was replace the canbus that tied the ADAHRS and two screens together and terminate there. I disconnected my GPS20A and my autopilot servos. Test flight showed all good no problem with that setup. Next step removed the termination jumper and tie the GPS20A and autopilot servos into the system. Test flight showed everything working as it should. The conclusion one of the solder sleeve connections on that canbus that I replaced had gone bad. This was intermittent and made it difficult to find, on the ground it worked fine even when I wiggled the wires. I never did find the exact bad connection but luckly I was able to replace the section that had the bad connection. If your system has been working fine and then just starts acting up and flashing Red X's then it is most likely a bad connection somewhere on your canbus. I hope this helps someone that has this happen to them in the future.

I want to thank the Garmin G3Xperts they helped as much as they could and answered me back very quickly when I emailed them directly.
Web site: http://www.newtech.com/bobbyhester/RVSite.htm
Dec. 2017 VAF donator - alot better than any magazine subscription

Last edited by bhester : 05-28-2018 at 08:05 PM.
Old 06-25-2018, 08:42 AM

Hi all,

I just wanted to post an update here to thank all of you for your input on this. I'm working on content now and you've been a big help to help me focus on what's important!

We are also planning some G3X pilot forums in addition to the installation forums.

I'll post more information with specific details as we get closer to the show. See you there!
Old 07-03-2018, 11:37 AM

Default Published AirVenture Garmin Forums Schedule

EAA has our forum schedule out on the app and website now. Here's what we're planning to do:

G3X Touch Academy: How to install G3X Touch

This two-hour course will review builders’ most frequently asked questions in these six modules: 1) Wiring, Termination & Tools, 2) CAN Bus Fundamentals, 3) Software loading and configuration, 4) Autopilot configuration, 5) System Architecture , and 6) GTN Interface. Modules 1 & 2 will be taught on Monday and Thursday. Modules 3 & 4 will be taught on Tuesday and Friday. Modules 5 & 6 will be taught on Wednesday and Saturday. Each participant is eligible to receive a rebate for Garmin avionics and portables.

I hope to see you there!
Old 07-03-2018, 03:39 PM

Hi Katie,

This all sounds great. I'm really interested. Do I need to sign up in advance, or just show up? Would really like to see all the different CAN bus terminations in person. It would also be great if the schematic/wiring diagram symbol was displayed next to each. Learning the drawings, then making the piece has been a tremendous challenge for me. Zero experience.

Thanks!
2017 VAF SUPPORTER
Old 07-03-2018, 04:24 PM

Katie

I feel that there are two groups out there that will gladly make the time to listen to a Garmin G3Xpert. We are either in A or B but still need and desire guidance. Naturally it can sub divide it into more categories, but to keep it simple I made the turning point at completed mechanical installation.

At the present time I am in Group A and would like to learn more about right way to plan the system and properly installing it avoiding pitfalls that would waste time and possibly compromise safety in the future operation of the system.

Group A
Everyone in proper planning, purchase and up to the completed mechanical installation point.

Group B
The builders that persevered the installation process and are now on to setup, troubleshooting and operations in flight.

As a Fun BONUS maybe Garmin should do a G5 give-a-way raffle. Every student of yours that sits through your class gets to enter...only one entry per person.

Ken
Old 07-03-2018, 04:40 PM

I have the G3X panel items accumulated and the bulk of the harnesses and wiring fabricated and partially installed at this point. What I am curious about is the systems' setup. I have not investigated this task at all so far and assume there are guides available to do this. Could this be something that could be considered for a discussion?
RV14A (N14ZT), Ser#140195
Start 10/11/14
IO-390 Lyc Tbolt / CS Hartzell
Well into the panel and its stuff now
Dues paid 12/1/17 (USArmy 2/67-2/70)
www.mykitlog.com/jeffw@sc47