What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Add sikaflex to a new, but riveted RV-4 canopy?

STAP

Hi all,

My RV-4's canopy was sorely in need of replacement. I recently purchased a completed and never flown, canopy, skirt and frame. (woo hoo!)

The assembly fits great into my existing (flying) RV-4.

My question is:

The canopy has been skillfully riveted into the frame (well-installed). I don't really want to disassemble it. Is it possible or wise to inject sikaflex into the small gap between the flex and the frame?

My objective would be to provide some damping against vibration, which may eventually cause cracks at the rivet points.

Opinions? Perhaps sikaflex is not the way to go, or maybe this is a nitwit idea?

Opposite

Hi

I did he opposite but for the same reasons. I sikflexed and then put in rivets.

The problem you will get is roughing up the surface of the frame and canopy to provide a key, and painting in the primer. Its doable but difficult.

Use Proseal

Proseal is paintable, injectable, indestructable. Dont wory about surface prep any more than some cleaning..it will stick to nearly anything. I use it for all my canopy/glass work, and its what my -4 canopy is installed with (rivets also). mask the area along the seam, inject using a syringe or caulk gun and wipe smooth with a fingertip.

Great suggestions, thanks!

Thanks everyone. I'm going to do Proseal, I think. I'll post pics when complete.

Mask it before bonding

Make sure your canopy is well masked with a good fine line type tape and well protected to prevent the Proseal (or any adhesive) from getting on the area not being bonded. it is near impossible to get anything to clean up Plexi without problems.

Back