What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Palatka or Flagler for a stop over in FLORIDA?

RickWoodall

Well Known Member
Heading from Canada down to the Bahamas next friday. Have family to visit in davenport so will be staying at Winterhaven KGIF sat pm, but one extra night to kill on way down if weather is good.
Just looking for ga friendly small airport with nice people, good price on decent hotel close by and somewhere to have a good casual dinner and drinks.

Any tips/ pireps?

Why not St. Augustine? Interesting very old Florida city. Lots of history and friendly fbo.

Thanks

Will look into St Aug. Just find that some stop overs are simple and well priced, with great service. Others, are 250 to sleep, long cab ride, and a bit of a battle. Just looking for an easy fun stop. thanks.

Palatka is a sleepy little old-Florida town.

I kept my -4 and -6 there, and stopped there 10 days ago to get fuel in my Maule.

John Youell is the airport manager, as nice a guy as you'd hope to meet. All the staff are great.

Fuel is about the lowest around.

There is a Holiday Inn Express about a mile from the ramp. There are plenty of chain restaurants in the area, Sonny's BBQ, Chili's, places like that.

If you run across John, tell him I said "Hey", I had hanger 25 there for a few years.

Flagler is a nice airport, towered, good SS fuel prices. Near I-95 so lots of the usual places to sleep nearby that are reasonably priced.

Restaurant on field (but not my favorite airport restaurant) and plenty of restaurants in the area. One to consider is Metro Diner in Palm Coast.

Another nearby location to consider would be Deland - really good food/tavern on field but not sure about hotel options. If you like to watch crazy people jump out of airplanes, both Palatka and Deland have lots of skydiving activity (especially Deland).

I live here and fly to all these airports. Even though I am based at St. Augustine (KSGJ), I recommend Flagler County (KFIN) for what you want. It is a bit cheaper and with the savings you can rent a car right at the airport then visit many places nearby, including historic St. Augustine and Daytona Beach. The airport restaurant there (Highjackers) is my all time favorite airport restaurant, and I have been to dozens and dozens of them.

PM me if you want more information.

:cool:

Last edited:
I have to agree with Galin. I lived in Palm Coast for eight years, built my Cleanex there, and tied her down at XFL, er, KFIN... for a few years.

HiJackers is indeed a neat restaurant, and it is close to many things. Leave the airport, turn right om Rt. 100, and in a few miles you are at Flagler Beach. The Golden Lion just south of 100 on A1A is a popular place on the beach for food and libations.

Heading from Canada down to the Bahamas next friday. Have family to visit in davenport so will be staying at Winterhaven KGIF sat pm, but one extra night to kill on way down if weather is good.
Just looking for ga friendly small airport with nice people, good price on decent hotel close by and somewhere to have a good casual dinner and drinks.

Any tips/ pireps?

In my skydiving days I used to jump out of Palatka. It looks like they still have a jump facility there so that's one consideration.

Back then, right across the street from the airport was a pulp and paper mill. The mill was active back then. It exuded THE MOST gosh-awful smell imaginable. If it's still active (and perhaps it's not) , then that would be another consideration for me.

How about Sugar Loaf Shores

Sugar Loaf Shores is a private paved strip 11 miles from Key West that you could possibly make arrangements with. Private airport identifier 7FA1. Possible contact number 305-396-8806.

I've been there several times by vehicle, and believe there are accommodations available there, within walking distance.

Just a thought.

Another nearby location to consider would be Deland - really good food/tavern on field but not sure about hotel options. If you like to watch crazy people jump out of airplanes, both Palatka and Deland have lots of skydiving activity (especially Deland).

In DeLand skydivers have pop up tents sleeping by the jump zone business, right on the field. Restaurants there too. Option to save a few $$. Also some nearby hotels, McD, etc. Call first to verify. Jump ops everyday, sunrise to sunset, don?t overfly the field.

Carl

sounds like a job for the RV HOTEL. free room, sometimes a car, and all the info you need for the area. ;)

Thanks

Appreciate all the tips. We have to get out of the snow fast on friday and between customs stop, a fuel stop and all the way from Canada down to florida it will be decent haul. Have to get over to visit family in davenport next morn before heading to bahamas so not a lot of time.

We settled on Flagler. Love some of the these airports. Great people that hooked us up with a hilton for 94 including cook to order breakfast and a car for 35 and tips on great water front restaurants. PERFECT.

Again, thanks. Always appreciate the time and trouble. Cheers,Rick

Appreciate all the tips. We have to get out of the snow fast on friday and between customs stop, a fuel stop and all the way from Canada down to florida it will be decent haul. Have to get over to visit family in davenport next morn before heading to bahamas so not a lot of time.

We settled on Flagler. Love some of the these airports. Great people that hooked us up with a hilton for 94 including cook to order breakfast and a car for 35 and tips on great water front restaurants. PERFECT.

Again, thanks. Always appreciate the time and trouble. Cheers,Rick
Let me know when you guys are here and maybe we can meet up for lunch, dinner or just a cup of coffee.

:cool:

Back