What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Repeat offender time between builds

ctennis

Well Known Member
For repeat offenders, curious what your time between finishing project A and starting project B was? I was at nine months before I pulled the trigger on the -10. My wife's eyes rolled deeper than I think I've ever seen.

For repeat offenders, curious what your time between finishing project A and starting project B was? I was at nine months before I pulled the trigger on the -10. My wife's eyes rolled deeper than I think I've ever seen.

Can't say project A is ever really finished, but: four years and hundred Hobbs since airworthiness until putting in the order for B on July 4th. The itch wouldn't go away. All better now. My main gripe at the moment: B is coming together way too fast and easy--A took fourteen years.

Explain to wife patiently that it's a hobby, and that it helps you stay away from drugs and crime. :p

15 years. I was a bachelor during the RV-6 build, which made things much easier than they are now. With a family, it is recommended (by my wife) that I not do things like store wings in the master bedroom and the canopy on the dining room table.

Six years between the 8A flying and starting the 10. Four years between the 10 flying and starting the 8.

Selling the RV-10 was a big mistake. I may have to build another one depending on son and son-in-law wanting a plane (both are Naval Aviators).

Carl

I completed an early -6 slow build kit in 1991, took 2 years. Just completed a -7 QB in 14 months. I prefer not to drag these projects on for an extended period of time, but rather dedicate the time and get it done. I have to admit that I am not strapped to a normal 9-5 job, and probably have more time available than most. I have found with any big project that working just an hour or 2 at a time can really drag it on. When I go down to my shop it takes me probably an hour to get "up to speed", then I try and work for 8 hours or so. Much more productive! I also try to order everything I think I will need in advance so it is there when I am ready. Things like FWF kits, drop in interiors and pre wired avionics can really speed up the process. GOOD LUCK!

Just got back from Sun n Fun, Great WX thursday, great RV turnout!

Back