What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Naming

n5lp

fugio ergo sum
DSC00416.jpg

I recently made a post about a flight with this woman who had never flown in a small airplane before. It turns out she is thoughtful. After the flight she asked me if my airplane had a name. I told her that it doesn't really. I made a stab at that but it never really took, although Doug Reeves has used it a few times. I also mentioned that it is just an inanimate object.

Today I got this e-mail from another location along her travel route, slightly edited for English not being her first language. Some good points there.

I thought more about the topic of names...

There is always a story behind names, both of persons and of "things", and sometimes it's not easy to find the right names... but every time man has discovered something new, he has named it. I think it's a way to say "I know what it is, it is not something unknown anymore"
We need names because we need to feel the world around us as something we can understand.

So throughout history, people have named mountains, peaks, rivers, caves,.... each little corner of the earth has gotten its name. But we also give names to cats, dogs, horses... Anything with which we have a kind of relationship. That's the reason why people don't give a name to an animal who is going to be killed and eaten; they avoid it just because a name would create a kind of relationship that they don't want to have with that animal.

In the case of your airplane, even if you think it is an "inanimate" object (i don't think so...), in my opinion you do have a relationship with it. You know it and you are even its creator! It takes you a long time and much energy and knowledge to build it, so it represents something really important in your life. It also gives you great emotions and allows you .... to fly!

I strongly believe it deserves a name!

Wow!

PAUSE FOR THOUGHT

Thanks Larry, and to the lady.

I have not named our aircraft. I had never before considered the sentiments expressed by her in your post. Now I will reconsider.

Best regards

Well articulated!

So, are you embracing Blackbelly or will it have another name soon? :)

I have to agree. Most of us have a relationship with our planes and a name helps clarify that relationship. I know the names of our planes all have significant meanings to us.

So, are you embracing Blackbelly or will it have another name soon? :)

I have to agree. Most of us have a relationship with our planes and a name helps clarify that relationship. I know the names of our planes all have significant meanings to us.

I really don't like Blackbelly very much. I have never been a good namer. She suggested a rather good name but you can't rename your airplane can you? Wouldn't that be against some kind of law?

Funny, everytime I tell a guy I built an airplane they ask how fast it goes. Every girl asks what I named it.

... but you can't rename your airplane can you? Wouldn't that be against some kind of law?

Actually there's a long history of renaming people (probably places too). With the renaming comes a new level of maturity, wisdom, or direction. Robertson Davies wrote about this in one of his books (and I'm not Canadian and love his work and morned his passing). It's been a while, but I think he discusses this in the book, Fifth Business. If not, it was likely part of that Deptford Trilogy. Another example a lot of folks from many religious traditions will recall is God renamed Abram and Sarai and they became Abraham and Sarah.

So, I'd say as the creator of your aircraft, you're on solid ground renaming your airplane. There plenty of precedent and from the highest authority.

Often a pretentious name is given, but after a while, the true 'personality' of the airplane (boat, car, motorcycle, chainsaw, kitchen knife whatever) is revealed, and a more appropriate name emerges.
My T-18 was named 'Blue Max' by the previous owner. Now, after about 20 hours of flight we call it 'Feisty'.
The Cessna 172 somehow became 'Trusty' after that...
My RV-8 has a name, but that could change in a single event.
That's the way it goes sometimes...

Larry,
Quite a lot of thought went into that soliloquy. No going back now, you have to give her a name.

My 46 Aeronca Champ acquired the name "Old Girl" because she, like me was old. My -8 got the name "No. One Girl" because of the fact there are 3 women In my life (wife and two daughters) and they needed to know how they ranked:rolleyes:

Funny, everytime I tell a guy I built an airplane they ask how fast it goes. Every girl asks what I named it.
"Now that's funny ... I don't care who you are" --- LtC

The Gal is right... Seems you'be been schooled;)

Early in the build I spent a number of hrs on the FAA website looking for "the tail number". All the variations that had mine or my wifes, or a combination of initials were take by some previous craft. (farging bastiges!!)

I finally settled on 72ME. A bit cutesy but it is what it is.
There is no specific nickname yet, but if you say Mike Echo really fast you will know why there were lizard images placed on the shop door by my wife. :)

Last edited:
After You!

Back in my single days I had a boat. It's name? "After You"
Then anytime I met a new girl, I would tell her about my boat. She would immediately ask, "What did you name it?"

My answer; "Why, I named it After You!"

Often a pretentious name is given, but after a while, the true 'personality' of the airplane (boat, car, motorcycle, chainsaw, kitchen knife whatever) is revealed, and a more appropriate name emerges...

Originally, I named my RV-7 "Pride and Joy" after the classic hit by Stevie Ray Vaughan, but it just seemed a little pretentious as SHIPCHIEF stated. I don't know that I'll be able to really name her until I fly her (she's definitely female).

CLASSIC!

Back in my single days I had a boat. It's name? "After You"
Then anytime I met a new girl, I would tell her about my boat. She would immediately ask, "What did you name it?"

My answer; "Why, I named it After You!"

Due to our friends with kids always wanting us to have kids, my wife and I, jokingly named everything in our house that performed some task and needed to be cared for (i.e. the humidifier, robotic vaccum cleaner, espresso maker, big plants, etc.). It became kind of fun to refer to them like that and we continue to do it. Our plane will certainly have a name. The only problem is that our 1 year old daughter thinks all vacuums are named "Pani Krysia," which is basically Miss Chrissy, in Polish (wife's Polish).:)

It's funny... I've been a gear head my whole life and have strong emotional attachments to my machines, but I have never even considered naming any of them.

...Different strokes, I suppose...

Agreed

I guess I don't really see a purpose in naming a plane. It's a plane!!!! Military planes have a history as to why they are named. So if an RV is modeled after a Military plane or there is some significant sentimental reason, cool. But naming for naming sake:rolleyes:

I've got a buddies agreed "Living Will," that if I ever name my plane or put a stuffed animal in it that they have permission to put me down. Same applies to dress shoes with plaid shorts and a mismatched shirt, going to dinner by 4:30 and even thinking about playing Bingo.

As Mike said, Different strokes......

Same with pilot names...... I know they have a purpose in the Military and for the RV folks that do formation but otherwise same as naming the plane..

It's funny... I've been a gear head my whole life and have strong emotional attachments to my machines, but I have never even considered naming any of them.

...Different strokes, I suppose...

Last edited by a moderator:
Early in the build I spent a number of hrs on the FAA website looking for "the tail number". All the variations that had mine or my wifes, or a combination of initials were take by some previous craft. (farging bastiges!!)

I finally settled on 72ME. I bit cutesy but it is what it is.
There is no specific nickname yet, but if you say Mike Echo really fast you will know why there were lizard images placed on the shop door by my wife. :)

At first, I thought the ME was "ME", like Ricky Bobby in Talladega Nights:
609kurtbusch.jpg

Ricky: "What is M E?"
Susan: "Me" is you. Because it's just you out there. We don't have any corporate sponsors, we don't have any fancy team owners. We have you. And this car, and this cougar, which symbolizes the fear that you have overcome. It's all there for you.

Last edited:
When I finished our -10, all of our women friends thought it was strange that I had not named it. One day while watching dog agility I noticed a guy working his dog, Loretta. Thought that was a pretty funny name for a dog, so the plane became Loretta. Now the women think that is weird, so I have gone from strange to weird. Is that progress?

Jim Berry
RV-10

Builder Doll

Naming the Doll was easy. After all, I painted her after Col John D. Landers famous Mustang, Big Beautiful Doll, which to this day, hangs from the ceiling of the Imperial War Museum in London. The hard part was putting the two words under my wife's name on the canopy skirt. It was easy for my name, and the traditional Pilot/Builder was chosen. But I pondered and pondered what to put under Marthajane's name. She was definitely a builder, as she bucked around 15,000 rivets during construction. But.....she is not a pilot.

Then as I was staring at the Beautiful Doll decal on the side of the fuselage it came to me. Builder/Doll .....So I put Builder/Doll under her name. It was most appropriate, and it earned me a very positive response from her.

As far a naming boats, cars, airplanes???? No harm, No foul!

Last edited:
I don't see a problem with renaming Blackbelly. I've generated nicknames for each of our kids -- Sarah became "Ziggy" (she looked just like the cartoon character as an infant), Joe became "Skeezer" (no clue where that came from), and Carolyn was doomed to be called "Lumpy" (she grew a hemangioma on her pate when she was a week old ... what else do you call a kid with a lump?)

"Skeezer" never took. His sister, unable to pronounce Joseph, called him "Jofus." With a middle name of Daniel, his nickname transmogrified into "Jofus Doofus," and then just "Doofus" (which was pretty appropriate.) Now, as a grown man, he has reverted back to just plain Joe.

Smokey was right from the beginning. I knew that his paint scheme was going to be Navy TPS (gray on gray.) I occasionally found myself relegated to the shop to savor a fine cigar when the weather outside was uninviting. He was destined to be "Smokey."

Although "Blackbelly" has a certain charm to it, you have my permission to change it to something more to your liking. :D

Larry, Junior became "Tsamsiyu", following the old tradition (before ultrasound) of calling a fetus or infant "Junior" before Christening....in this case the new paint job. And, among religious types, there is a long tradition of assuming a new name at transition in life. If you have a good name that you like, I think you should go for it!

Last edited:
Now that there is funny! Great sense of humor!

and Carolyn was doomed to be called "Lumpy" (she grew a hemangioma on her pate when she was a week old ... what else do you call a kid with a lump?)

Love this!

If you're taking suggestions: Spelunky. I always enjoy seeing your pictures of caves you find while flying and they make me think of spelunkers.

Sometimes you have to get to know the airplane before you know what its name is. After a while, if it has one, you'll definitely know its name.

I once owned a plane named "Ain't Nothin' Easy." I have a different airplane now.

Dave

Nice original message. Thanks for sharing.
I'm not much for naming either, but ours is simply named 22C, and is referred to as such around here. The relationship part with the machine is totally true. I continue to spend a lot of time and effort cultivating that relationship. Heck, my relationship with the machine is probably at least as good as that with my wife! And she knows it. Our lives depend on it sometimes.

If you're taking suggestions: Spelunky. I always enjoy seeing your pictures of caves you find while flying and they make me think of spelunkers.

Careful now - calling a Caver a "Spelunker" is like calling a marathon runner a "jogger".

In the caving world, Cavers rescue spelunkers.... and Larry is DEFINITELY a Caver!

I jokingly referred to the project as my aluminum mistress once to my wife. That turned into "the other woman" shorted to TOW. Recently I taught my wife to buck rivets to help with the wing. "Just what every man dreams of, a threesome". Good thing she has a great sense of humor!

I find it interesting to read all the references to "the other wife"...

As attached as I am to my machines, I would burn every one of them to the ground without a moment?s hesitation if I had to make that choice. I guess that's why I can't get my head around naming them. An airplane/car/motorcycle is still just a thing... it only represents time and money - not genuine affection.

Again, not trying to change anyone?s mind here... I just find naming inanimate objects odd.

Intellectually, airplanes are "inanimate," just a collection of metal, fasteners and components. However, emotionally they can be anything but inanimate. Any device that can produce the satisfaction, stimulation, and pure joy of a capable airplane must be viewed as more than a collection of parts. The pleasure of becoming at one with an airplane, that is, not having to consciously think about every control movement, the sights we enjoy that are never offered to the ground bound or airline passenger in the flight levels all contribute to the feeling that the device has a personality, and may deserve a name.

John Clark ATP, CFI
Aviator & Gearhead
FAAST Team Representative
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Intellectually, airplanes are "inanimate," just a collection of metal, fasteners and components. However, emotionally they can be anything but inanimate. Any device that can produce the satisfaction, stimulation, and pure joy of a capable airplane must be viewed as more than a collection of parts. The pleasure of becoming at one with an airplane, that is, not having to consciously think about every control movement, the sights we enjoy that are never offered to the ground bound or airline passenger in the flight levels all contribute to the feeling that the device has a personality, and may deserve a name.

John Clark ATP, CFI
Aviator & Gearhead
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

But unlike a named "person" we are fond with, the cold, hard airplane (even if named) can kill us in an instant with no "regrets".

I have no problems with people naming a machine if they wish, but I try to keep in mind the machine has absolutely no affection for me.

Being and animated inanimate object (while you are flying it) has an effect on any name it might get, in part due to the influence of the operator. :confused: :rolleyes:

Names in Character

Naming "Sweetie" was easy. Fits the character of an RV-12 (Ginormous Avenging Dragon would be an inappropriate name for a -12). I put decals on the side saying "Sweetie" and get lots of smiles!
IMG_7555crop.JPG

Like it or not

When someone pops a name on you......depending who is around you are stuck for life.

In my case a big black lady cookin hamburgers at the local gas station called me Weasel in front of my co-workers when I was about 16. not much I could do about it.

When a fellow pilot walks in the hanger and says:

MAN!!!!!!!what is this? a school bus? well you know

Great thread ...

I've been trying to think of a name for my bird since she first flew last September, but - to date - I've come up with nothing. I though I was the only RV builder that couldn't think of a name for his plane. I see here I'm in good company !

I believe nicknames, and names for "things" like airplanes, have to "just happen", they can't be forced. Something, sometime, at some place will just "click" and it'll be "that's it"...be it a nickname for a person or appellation for an airplane :)

The airplane I'm flying now came pre-built and pre-named. The builder had reserved the registration marks to match his wife's name.

In the eight years we've been flying together this little airplane has put a smile on my face many times and has lightened my heart when nothing else could bring me solace. When we have come back from a stunning sunset flight that has reacquainted me with all that is good and right in life, I tuck her away in the hangar, drape her with dust cloths and give her a wee pat on the engine cowling, thankful for having had the opportunity to see the world from a rare perspective. In those moments I know with certainty that she wears her name well. JOY

Defenitely female, even though its kit and not a plan build mine is "Maid Oliver."

Last edited:
Hey....

I jokingly referred to the project as my aluminum mistress once to my wife. That turned into "the other woman" shorted to TOW. Recently I taught my wife to buck rivets to help with the wing. "Just what every man dreams of, a threesome". Good thing she has a great sense of humor!

My girlfriend has deemed my -6 "the other woman". Got a pic of her on the wing root of a t-6 at peachtree city with the same name this spring.

TOW.jpg

Last edited:
But unlike a named "person" we are fond with, the cold, hard airplane (even if named) can kill us in an instant with no "regrets".

I have no problems with people naming a machine if they wish, but I try to keep in mind the machine has absolutely no affection for me.

If it did develop affection for you, you could name it Christine...

Being and animated inanimate object (while you are flying it) has an effect on any name it might get, in part due to the influence of the operator. :confused: :rolleyes:

I just hope 9SB doesn't find out what I wrote about him...oops...it in this thread. ;)

When I first phoned and told my elderly parents a couple of years ago that I was going to build a plane, the first thing they both said after "Great!" was "What are you going to call it?" That really surprised me because it had never occured to me to call it anything. Besides, it had already had a fine name - it was called an `RV-12'. Still, as the build progressed they would occasionally ask me whether I had a name for it, so the notion kept knocking around in my head. But I couldn't think of anything that didn't sound either pretentious or just plain silly.

Then one day, I recalled a time about 19 years ago now, when our kids were young, and we drove across Australia towing a caravan to visit and go on a touring trip with them - they with their 4WD and caravan, and us following behind with our rig. Just before we left on our trip together my dad, who was 75 at the time, gave me a handheld CB radio, and said "Here, we can use this to keep in touch. I'll be `Rabbit 1' and you can be Rabbit 2'". Of course, the kids loved it. They would take it in turns to travel up ahead with my parents and chat on the radio -`Rabbit 1 calling Rabbit 2....etc'.

Well, my dad turned 94 last week, and both my parents are very interested to see the plane nearing completion. Dad has even flown over a couple of times (2,000m) to give me a hand to build it, and can't wait to see it fly. Anyway about six months ago, I was finally able to tell them that the plane had a name. The kids approve too!

Last edited:
Just be careful christening that new name with a champagne bottle. I don't think the aluminum or prop could take it...

christening_cv-880.jpg

Sam, you never met my ex-wife. :rolleyes:

John Clark ATP, CFI
Aviator & Gearhead
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

I called my plane all kinds of names while I was building it, unfortunately I can't use any of them in a family friendly environment. :)

I call my Harley "the bike". I guess I call my -8 "the airplane"

"Naughty Angel"

13AF5BC1-DD48-4E36-9ACC-7FB0BA892A59-6896-00000520C15C3760_zpsa7500d07.jpg

This is a sample fit. I actually went 6inches larger in Diameter for the final.

A1E011C9-CC06-4007-B5A1-525E3A47399A-6896-000005209E6A4C00_zps5893b559.jpg

Wife complained about the plane sometimes. I had my graphic designer create this off a couple of photos of my wife. Now she has to like the plane ;)

Jedi mind trick: success!

Back