What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PTI Primer Surface Preparation

Bob Ross

Hello All:

I am using the PTI Zinc Chromate primer sold by Aircraft Spruce to coat the entire interior surface of my RV12 including Alcad coated skins and ribs.

Question: Is it necessary to scotch bright the Alcad surfaces before applying the primer?:eek:

Thanks,

Bob

Hey Bob

I would. ( and did ) Never hurts. Doesn't take too long. Has to improve adhesion.

John Bender

surface Prep

I would, and didn't...and now my paint is flaking off the area that I didn't rough up. The guy at the paint shop said that all I'd need was the 'self-etching primer', and he wasn't completely honest...
Meade

I used NAPA 7220 self-etching primer on the parts I primed, including a few inside skins. Roughed them up real good and the primer seems to be well bonded. I think the Alclad is too shiny as it comes. After ScotchBrite-ing I washed with a pre-paint solvent from NAPA to get off any foriegn stuff like skin oils etc.

I would, and didn't...and now my paint is flaking off the area that I didn't rough up. The guy at the paint shop said that all I'd need was the 'self-etching primer', and he wasn't completely honest...
Meade

Did you clean the surfaces or just shoot them?

Many thanks for your comments. I called PTI today and they recommend lightly scotch brighting the Alcad coating before applying the zinc chromate primer. They also said that optimally an enamel top coat should be applied over the primer. I think I'll skip that step. Two coats of zinc chromate should do the trick.

Bob

I called PTI today and they recommend lightly scotch brighting the Alcad coating before applying the zinc chromate primer.

I wonder what gives better protection, non-scuffed skins that have the full alclad coating, or lightly-scuffed skins that no longer have the full alclad coating, but are covered with zinc chromate? (Here we go again!) :D

Mark:

I think you have hit upon the key question to the entire issue........to which no one seems to be able to answer conclusively.:confused:

Bob

Hey guys, it's real easy to find out! Just make two test strips using the two methods, expose to the elements, and wait 50 years. No problem.;)

My Thoughts

Hello All:

I am using the PTI Zinc Chromate primer sold by Aircraft Spruce to coat the entire interior surface of my RV12 including Alcad coated skins and ribs.

Question: Is it necessary to scotch bright the Alcad surfaces before applying the primer?:eek:

Thanks,

Bob

Again I have to put in my .02 worth. Alclad is corrosion proof period. It is not necessary to prime for protection. If ya'll are really worried about corrosion; a year after the A/C is finished painted just have the interior skins of the Wing,tail and rear Fusilage treated with a product like corrosion-X . Works really good on Floatplanes operating in salt water and doesn't weigh anything. No I'm not a dealer or supplier of Corrosion-x or any other product, just in case you were wondering.
;)

There is a reason Van's wash primes

Again I have to put in my .02 worth. Alclad is corrosion proof period. It is not necessary to prime for protection. If ya'll are really worried about corrosion; a year after the A/C is finished painted just have the interior skins of the Wing,tail and rear Fusilage treated with a product like corrosion-X . Works really good on Floatplanes operating in salt water and doesn't weigh anything. No I'm not a dealer or supplier of Corrosion-x or any other product, just in case you were wondering.
;)

Scott McDaniel did a very non-scientific (his words) test. He took two pieces of Alclad skins, primed one with SW wash primer and left the other one untreated. He hung them out in the weather for a year. The wash primed pieces looked nearly new. The unprimed Alclad had a significant amount of surface corrosion. That is why Vans uses the wash primer.
Corrosion protection is relative. The environments people operate their aircraft in are also relative.

Back