What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Disassembly tools..

Tram

Well Known Member
Hey guys-

Well, we sold our 6. She’s headed to places south.

However, the new owner is going to have her disassembled here and trucked to his location before going further south.

I’ve never taken the wings off this thing, and don’t plan to. It’s no longer ours.

However, the individual that is coming to disassemble and load the aircraft is not sure what tools they’ll need.

Not my plane, not my decision. I’d have hired a transporter that is well versed in disassembly of aircraft. That’s another thread.

So, what’s the quick and dirty to get the wings off this thing so it’ll go on a trailer?

If you were going to disassemble one, what would you bring?

Thanks

Jeff

Last edited:
Sawhorses with padding.

Ratchet and sockets

Wrenches

Drifts to drive out the spar bolts.

Small hammer to help drive out the bolts.

Screwdrivers for the fairing screws and access panels.

Whatever is necessary to disconnect the wiring in the wings.

A couple of helpers.

There is no quick and dirty way to remove the wings from a -6......nearly eighty bolts! But a good set of tools should have everything needed.

I'd plan on 3-4days. Theres alot involved. I shipped my 8 across the ocean and it's probably 2-3 full days of disassembly and another full day of packing.

Labeling wires for reassembly is highly recommended, otherwise you spend a lot of time with a volt meter:)

Also try to either label hardware, or leave hardware in the correct bolt holes so you arent spending forever trying to figure out what bolt goes where. I guess that's not really your problem though once its sold.

I'd plan on 3-4days. Theres alot involved. I shipped my 8 across the ocean and it's probably 2-3 full days of disassembly and another full day of packing.

Labeling wires for reassembly is highly recommended, otherwise you spend a lot of time with a volt meter:)

Also try to either label hardware, or leave hardware in the correct bolt holes so you arent spending forever trying to figure out what bolt goes where. I guess that's not really your problem though once its sold.

This will be loaded on a trailer and then packed for shipping I believe, after the fact, I?m not really in the loop.

As the Spar bolts are removed it will allow the layers of the spar to start to separate a bit. When this happens it binds up the bolts when trying to tap them out. You need to hold the layers of the spar tightly together as the bolts are removed. As you remove the close tolerance bolts install a smaller bolt next to the one you are removing to hold the spar layers together. The RV6 spar is made up 1/4” alum. bars.

We used a pry bar on some of the bolts pulling them out like nails. Large C clamps can be used also to hold the spar layers together. Don’t be in rush and take precautions to prevent damage.

I bought a set of new spar bolts from Vans for reassembly after shipping. Many of the old bolts were mildly damaged during removal. The plating was scraped off of most of the bolts.

IIRC, Vans has a kit with everything needed, may be specific to -6 or -6A.

Was very glad I had done that.

Back