What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

canopy cleaning

HansLab

Well Known Member
After pulling off the ducktape that was used to protect the canopy against the epoxy i keep glue residue on the canopy: a string of some 25x 3 cm with tiny bits and pieces. Clearly ' feelable' with nails, but not removable yet.

I read this forum and tried (carefully) WD40 and turpentine (first on the inside, to see if there would be any damage to the plexiglass), but no significant results.

In the meantime I've read about polishing the plexiglass - and it does look at the process I've been through polishing the aluminum, but hey: having to sand these stains takes some guts I don' t have at the moment.

What are your ideas, network?

If you haven?t already tried it, some simple alcohol to soften combines with a little heat can aid in tape adhesive removal. Also, similar to the idea of using 100LL to clean 100LL stains, it sometimes works to use a string duct tape (like the T-Rex tape we use in packing our kits) to remove tape adhesive.

Be careful with chemicals specified for removing tape adhesive residue on the canopy. Read labels and carefully test. Many of them specify no use on plastics.

I think the rear window in RV-12 is very prone to surface cracks if exposed to gasoline, unless the material has changed.

GooGone Goo and Adhesive Remover. Test on small part of plastic first, but I'm pretty sure its OK on both Polycarbonate and PlexiGlass.

GooGone is excellent at removing stubborn / dried tape and label adhesive.

https://googone.com

Back