What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alodining already riveted parts (nutplats etc)

MElstien

Well Known Member
Hello,

Please, no primer wars here. I have made my decision, now I am just asking a technical question.

I have an old QB kit that had some very mild surface corrosion on some parts. I have used alodine before on this build and I would like to alodine the parts now. The floor boards for instance, already have nutplates on them and some angles.

My plan is to clean and dip into IC-33, rinse with water and dip them in Alodine 1200S for the proper time. Is there any problem with doing that with steel parts riveting on? I think a good rinse after to remove alodine from creases and joints may be required.

Any other known issues?

Yes, I use protection and recover every bit of alodine, knowing it is nasty stuff. I also plan on visiting SanChem this coming week while I am in downtown Chicago on business. I may pick some up and do some testing.

Thank You

The IC-33 is a bigger risk. Entrapped phosphoric acid will definitely cause issues down the road if not rinsed and neutralized thoroughly.
Most corrosion under paint happens along a seam for a reason.
I would mechanically clean it and touch up with an alodine pen or spot apply the alodine (chromic acid). Entrapped chromic acid is much less problematic than phosphoric acid.

Back