What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New hinge on horizontal cowl line

Christopher Murphy

Well Known Member
I need to replace/ repair the hinges on the horizontal joint on my Rv4 cowl. Has anyone used extruded hinge? AD rivets versus the crappy cs-4 pop rivets.

Thanks
Cm

yes to both, and AD is the standard for all newer kits. Don't recall CS-4 on the old 4 plans either, but it's been a long time!

Along the lines of a really long time ago...

I think that I used AD rivets but I squeezed them. And at the ends of the hinges, I used #4 screws for extra strength. Then I covered the rivet head with flox and very light, hobby store fiberglass cloth.

That was like 30 years ago, so who knows what I really did.

Ed

If it has been drilled out to 1/8" for cs4-4 rivets, you probably wont be able to use AD rivets. I dont think you will be able to set a -4AD rivet without deforming the hinge. I would consider bonding the hinge and using -4 'A' rivets or bond and use a better blind rivet.

AD's and Proseal

I squeezed mine using AD's and also Proseal as a bonding agent. No loose rivets or issues in 300 plus hrs. The extruded hinge is superior to the formed, although I used the kit supplied formed hinge on mine. The key i believe is making sure the hinge pins are curved to match the curve of the cowling so there isn't constant pressure/rubbing. I keep mine clean and lube with a parafin wax stick that doesn't hold dirt and dust.

Back