What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tank Dimple Die?

pilot28906

Well Known Member
I have dimpled my tank skins and ribs with the normal dimple dies but am thinking I maybe should get the tank dimple dies. My question, is it OK to use the tank dies and re-dimple the skins and ribs? Will this open the hole too much?

Thanks,

No problem! Dimpling a bit more is not going to hurt anything. I recommend the tank dies so there's a little extra room for sealant under the rivet head. When it comes time to install and set rivets, I took a toothpick, dipped it in the tank sealant, and twirlled it in the rivet hole. Once the rivet line was set, I immediately cleaned them with a mild solvent.

Good luck!

Good Advise Gunny

No problem! Dimpling a bit more is not going to hurt anything. I recommend the tank dies so there's a little extra room for sealant under the rivet head. When it comes time to install and set rivets, I took a toothpick, dipped it in the tank sealant, and twirlled it in the rivet hole. Once the rivet line was set, I immediately cleaned them with a mild solvent.

Good luck!

Semper Fi Gunny. Graduate of Parris Island 1961.
C.G.

I have dimpled my tank skins and ribs with the normal dimple dies but am thinking I maybe should get the tank dimple dies. My question, is it OK to use the tank dies and re-dimple the skins and ribs? Will this open the hole too much?

Thanks,

When I built my tanks, there was no such thing as a tank dimple die. There were many RVs built without special tank dimple dies. IMHO. My tank rivets look as good as the other wing rivets.

Could it be that tank dimple dies are nothing but a money making item for the seller?

I prefer to save my money and put it where it will do more good than tank dimple dies.

My asbestos suit is on for other comments. Is there any HARD documented evidence that the tank dimple die does a better job or is it just opinion?

Last edited:
if i could do it over...

i used a tank dimple die... it may have contributed to the 'flushness' of my tank rivets but you would be hard pressed to tell... hardly worth the cost. i would have opted for a #10 die in its place if i could do it over again. the few #10 dimples that you run across can be kludged with a #8 die and some persuasion but it is not very satisfactory.

When I built my tanks, there was no such thing as a tank dimple die. There were many RVs built without special tank dimple dies. IMHO. My tank rivets look as good as the other wing rivets.

Could it be that tank dimple dies are nothing but a money making item for the seller?

I prefer to save my money and put it where it will do more good than tank dimple dies.

My asbestos suit is on for other comments. Is there any HARD documented evidence that the tank dimple die does a better job or is it just opinion?

Gary, don't know if the following link qualifies as documented evidence or not, but at the time I was satisfied enough with the evidence I documented that I used the dies on the fuse bulkheads as well.

http://thervjournal.com/tankdies.html

I ordered the dies from Avery. They were on sale for $30. Not cheap, but I thought this should be done. I am glad to here about using them on the structure.

Thanks again.

Back