What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Strobe Wiring

RV9er

:confused:Is it ok to run strobe power wiring, autopilot servo control wiring, landing light wiring and remote magnatometer wire together?

Last edited:
Best not to

I ran my tail strobe and tail light wires together down the RH side of the tail cone and the wires for my elevator trim servo and magnetometer, which is mounted on the rear deck, down the LH side of the tail cone. I was careful with grounding and it's the first aircraft that I've flown not hear strobe noise in the headset.

DC power wires and strobe wires are OK to run together but try to keep them away from antenna, audio and data cables.

Jim Sharkey
RV-6 Phase 1

:confused:Is it ok to run strobe power wiring, autopilot servo control wiring, landing light wiring and remote magnatometer wire together?

I would not run all of those wires together. You can run the strobe and landing light wires together. You can also run the A/P and magnatometer wires together. The more you can separate those two bundles from one another the better. If they have to cross one another at some point, it is best to have them cross at right angles to each other. Now, all that is what is "best." Compromises to the "rules" are normal. Just minimize them as best you can.

Thanks Jim

I ran my tail strobe and tail light wires together down the RH side of the tail cone and the wires for my elevator trim servo and magnetometer, which is mounted on the rear deck, down the LH side of the tail cone. I was careful with grounding and it's the first aircraft that I've flown not hear strobe noise in the headset.

DC power wires and strobe wires are OK to run together but try to keep them away from antenna, audio and data cables.

Jim Sharkey
RV-6 Phase 1
Thanks for the advise.
C.

Thanks

I would not run all of those wires together. You can run the strobe and landing light wires together. You can also run the A/P and magnatometer wires together. The more you can separate those two bundles from one another the better. If they have to cross one another at some point, it is best to have them cross at right angles to each other. Now, all that is what is "best." Compromises to the "rules" are normal. Just minimize them as best you can.

:cool:GREAT advise, thanks lots. What would be the minimum distance apart? If I ran one on the top of a rib and the bottom fo the other is that sufficient?
R./
C.:rolleyes:

If you use good quality antenna cable (RG-400) and use good grounding practices (especially for audio cables) you can run everything together.

Bob
RV-10 N442PM (flying)

:cool:GREAT advise, thanks lots. What would be the minimum distance apart? If I ran one on the top of a rib and the bottom fo the other is that sufficient?
R./
C.:rolleyes:

Honestly, I don't know what the min distance would be. As someone else noted, it depends on grounding, cable type, and probably other factors as well. I would suspect that the isolation improves with the square of the distance between the cables. So every little bit helps.

Sorry I can't be more specific.

I ran my my wires separate using several different "runs".

1. dirty wires - motors, servos and high EMF (strobe)

2. continuous duty - lights, power supply

3. data - ADAHRS

4. antenna -

I used 3" separation minimum and crossing bundles at right angles where possible. We'll see if I get any noise.

Back