What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

All of this wrapping paper....

instructor_bill

Well Known Member
I was able to draw a parallel today between all of the wrapping paper strewn about the kitchen table and the project in the garage.

I'm in the garage unwrapping blue plastic from gifts and the wife is inside putting gifts into more colorful paper wrapping.

It led me to a wonderful trick though. Working on the bottom wing skins I decided to cleco one end of the skin to the sacraficial table, peel back a couple of inches and then roll the blue plastic up onto an old closet rod.

Slicker-than-sh-t. took less than a minute per side.

I've not seen it done before, and did a search.... anybody else do it?

I have not seen or heard of that but I most definatly will be doing that from now on! Thats en genius!
-david

eureka!

standard technique, but it is always great to come up with those eureka moments!

img1735k.jpg

I invented it myself also only to find out it has been done before. I think most guys don't think getting the "blue death" off is a big deal until they have to do it. Personally, I would rather proseal something that mess with it.

Vise grips in an aircraft factory? :eek:

Last edited:
I never have a problem with the blue stuff. Take a hair dryer on high heat and low air and heat the plastic, then peel. Lately I've been standing in front of the hangar heater (I've got one of those 125k BTU kero heaters) and just holding smaller parts, like ribs, in front of it briefly before peeling the plastic. During the summer, I just stick the parts out on the asphalt for a few minutes while I do something else.

The title of this thread, though, reminded me of something I've done for a number of years: I save my old VFR charts and use them to wrap gifts. Colorful and unique: everyone knows which gifts came from Uncle Pat. For the littlest ones, 'Santa' has been known to wrap gifts in charts from their locale, complete with a 'flight plan' inked in.

rather than having to reinvent the wheel....

It might be nice if vans put this type of time saving technique into the construction manual.

Sometimes a single line stating "building both at the same time will save considerable time and energy" is quite helpful. A line in the section about the blue plastic would be all that it takes.

Well, Kudos to Doug for letting us play here. I've seen plenty here on this site that kept me from reinventing the best way to get a task completed. TIP: PUT THIS IN THE TIPS SECTION.

Heck YES

I was able to draw a parallel today between all of the wrapping paper strewn about the kitchen table and the project in the garage.

I'm in the garage unwrapping blue plastic from gifts and the wife is inside putting gifts into more colorful paper wrapping.

It led me to a wonderful trick though. Working on the bottom wing skins I decided to cleco one end of the skin to the sacraficial table, peel back a couple of inches and then roll the blue plastic up onto an old closet rod.

We all do it. It's right there in section 5 of your pre-plans book. I would love to give you credit for an original but. Never the less, you done good to think your way around a really STICKY problem:cool:
Happy building,
C.

REE-Check Info

Well there I go shooting off my mouth without being 100% sure about what I was talking (typing) about. Not in section 5 so it must be in the back of the empanage building section. Sorry bout that.
R./
C.

Last edited:
Back