What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12iS Avionics Packages Available to Order

greghughespdx

Well Known Member
Advertiser
RV-12iS Avionics Packages Available to Order

November 16, 2018 ? Van?s Aircraft has announced that it has opened orders for its RV-12iS avionics kits, which include complete state-of-the-art avionics options from both Dynon and Garmin. Builders may order these kits beginning today using the RV-12iS Avionics Kit order forms, which are located at:

Van?s anticipates shipping initial orders for these kits starting in December. Note that when building the RV-12iS, the avionics kit is typically installed after the powerplant kit due to building sequence dependencies. Therefore, customers who have already ordered and received their RV-12iS Powerplant kit will have shipping priority if their avionics kit order is placed by December 15th.

Q&A

I am building the RV-12iS aircraft kit. What applies in my case?

• If your RV-12iS aircraft is configured with the Rotax 912 iS Sport engine, you should order your choice of these newly-released avionics kit packages and options.
  • If your RV-12iS aircraft is equipped with a 912 ULS engine, an avionics kit configured for your engine/airframe combination will be available to order by January 7, 2019.

Can I customize these new avionics kits?

The available configuration options ? for both Garmin and Dynon equipment options ? are listed on the avionics kit order forms. When building an ELSA aircraft, you must choose one of the complete packages from the approved options listed on the forms.

I have ordered an SLSA RV-12iS that?s being built by the factory. Do I need to order these kits?

No. As an SLSA aircraft owner, your avionics selections are made using the SLSA ordering forms, which are up to date with the all available avionics options. Please contact Van?s SLSA support with any questions.
What should I do if I?m required to have a TSO?d radio and/or 8.33 kHz spacing as in certain countries that have those requirements?
Our ?international? avionics kit, which includes an ETSO/TSO-approved radio that provides both 8.33 kHz and 25kHz channel spacing, will be available for order by early January, 2019.

What about availability of the IFR avionics package Van?s uses on the RV-12iST trainer airplane?

An IFR avionics package that features the Garmin GTN 650 GPS/NAV/COM radio (which is also TSO approved and supports 8.33 kHz channel spacing) and the GMA 245 audio panel will be available to order by early February, 2019.

I have an original-style RV-12 and I?m interested in upgrading my avionics. Do these new kits apply to my airplane?

No, they do not. The original RV-12 avionics kits remain available for purchase and should be installed in the original RV-12 with the Rotax 912ULS engine. The original kits use much of the same avionics equipment, but include wiring, connectors and other equipment specific to the original aircraft configuration.

When will Van?s have an ADS-B Out option for my ?legacy? RV-12 with a Dynon D-180?

There are two paths to ADS-B Out compliance for the legacy RV-12 aircraft.
  • Van?s will publish a service letter in February, 2019 that will document a supported ADS-B Out solution for owners of original/legacy RV-12s configured with the Dynon D-180 EFIS and Garmin GTX-327 transponder. This solution will be a UAT/978 MHz add-on system, and will not replace existing equipment. Integration/installation instructions will be provided in the service letter.
  • For owners who wish to upgrade their D-180 instrument panels to a newer technology, it?s also worth noting that ADS-B In and Out upgrades are already available for original RV-12 aircraft via the installation of upgraded avionics/panel packages (specifically the supported Dynon Skyview, Skyview Touch, Skyview HDX and Garmin G3X Touch systems).

Nice!

Great to have these options available!

To first time builders, or those who are intimidated by electronics wiring: you have no idea how much time and hassle these fully developed panel options will save you. As with all things from Van's I think they're a pretty darn good value as well after looking at the pricing.

Last edited:
Scott, what powder coat color options are there for the instrument panel?

Greg was the person posting the Avionics kit announcement so he would be the best person to confirm, but I believe the prefinished panels will be offered in only one color. The same metallic medium grey that was used on the prototype (N912VA)

The kit will include all 3 panel sections and the switch panel / throttle control portion of the center console, finish in this color with all of the placarding /logos silk screened on (with the exception of the N number), as shown in this photo.

jkhxme.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
I'm happy they announced the rough date for the GTN package -- I'm looking forward to finally getting IFR rated! I wasn't even thinking about doing the rating until the option appeared on the roadmap...

At Oshkosh they announced it was available as an option, but I don't see an updated order form yet.

Rob

I looked at the RV-12 at Independence airport yesterday. Very nice. It had a "TOGA" button for the missed approach segment... "Impressive" ;-)

DM

The order form for the G3X IFR package includes this italicized statement:

Note that the current Light Sport Aircraft standards (ELSA and SLSA) preclude operation in Instrument Meteorological Conditions (IMC). While aircraft licensed under the LSA standard may be operated "in the system" under Instrument Flight Rules, such as in a training environment, certification as LSA currently prohibits IMC operations.

I believe this is incorrect. I have spent a great deal of time looking for the written source of the prohibition on IMC operations, and I have not found it or anything that even implies this is so. My research so far shows that the ASTM standards for LSAs is completely silent about IMC operations. I had heard that the ASTM LSA committee was going to take up the IMC issue at its meeting in October of last year, and I emailed a committee member to ask if IMC operations were on the agenda; but I didn't receive a response of any kind.

If anyone has the actual legal document that prohibits properly equipped LSAs from being flown in IMC, by Instrument Rated pilots, I would very much appreciate seeing the exact language, and its source.

The order form for the G3X IFR package includes this italicized statement:

Note that the current Light Sport Aircraft standards (ELSA and SLSA) preclude operation in Instrument Meteorological Conditions (IMC). While aircraft licensed under the LSA standard may be operated "in the system" under Instrument Flight Rules, such as in a training environment, certification as LSA currently prohibits IMC operations.

I believe this is incorrect. I have spent a great deal of time looking for the written source of the prohibition on IMC operations, and I have not found it or anything that even implies this is so. My research so far shows that the ASTM standards for LSAs is completely silent about IMC operations. I had heard that the ASTM LSA committee was going to take up the IMC issue at its meeting in October of last year, and I emailed a committee member to ask if IMC operations were on the agenda; but I didn't receive a response of any kind.

If anyone has the actual legal document that prohibits properly equipped LSAs from being flown in IMC, by Instrument Rated pilots, I would very much appreciate seeing the exact language, and its source.

Someone posted a detailed response to this, but that response is no longer here. Was it deleted, and if so why (it looked like it was written by someone with real knowledge) ? or did I only imagine that I saw it?

Back