What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

external lighting requirements

bobnoffs

Well Known Member
i am at the point of installing my vert stab and i had planned to install a strobe on the fairing on top of the stab. my wingtip strobes don't meet the requirement for visible from the rear. now i am wondering if the rudder fairing will block sight of this strobe.anyone have any thoughts on this? i guess the aft end of the fairing on the tailcone could be an option.
thanks.

One thought........

A strobe mounted on top of the vertical stab will reflect off the top of the wings. Can be very annoying at night. Especially if wings are a light color.

I don?t believe the rudder faring would block the visibility. The RV4 & 6 showed the vertical stab as a possible location for a single strobe. Some used that spot but most used the wingtips as various strobe options came available and like Mel said there was some reflection off a low wing to be considered.

I decided to build a day VFR machine. Saved a lot of $ and simplified my build. It was also in grudging recognition of the effects of age on night vision.

For me, my lighting system is less for me to see at night but more for the million students we have around here to see me during the day ...

Back