What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SB 19-03-22, last thing!

pstraub

Well Known Member
Wow, someone named Brad Hamilton decided to close this thread, this was not a Van's bashing, and I wanted to publicly respond to Greg, so here it is....

"Thanks for the response Greg, I appreciate and understand everything you have stated. I trust Van's beyond any other manufacturer I can think of, so the bottom line is.....c'est la vie :) I have already ordered the replacement pipe as I'm in the middle of my annual. Thanks again for the detailed explanation. Paul"

[ed. Brad Hamilton was a character in the movie 'Fast Times at Ridgemont High', and I closed the thread - had run its course. v/r,dr]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey there Paul, thanks for the follow-up note! We try our best! :)

Let me know how it goes once you get the part. Appreciate the feedback!

Hi All,
I am affected. I have an EX 00017. I Have done about 15 minutes ground running on the Engine. Preparing for 1st Flight. By the time I convert to Aussie Dollars, apply some GST and freight, its going to cost close to $500.00 Aussie dollars. GULP! I feel a phone call to Vans is in order! :( :confused:

This is a simple fix. get a drawing of the doubler, fabricate and tig weld on... Surely :rolleyes:

I will contact the Mothership to see what they say, in the meantime, if anyone has input, come back (Scott ;))

For now go with the 25 hour inspection and CO2 detection. The CO2 is always a good thing in a new aircraft and not a bad thing in any plane.

Hi all
I just ordered ordered the exhaust with the doubler from Van's which I will install at next annual just to be compliant.
Just wondering how many of you experienced a crack on that exhaust cyl.#2 and at how many hours.
I now have 25h TT and no crack (of course)
Thanks

Hi Chris. If it cracks, it will fail rather quickly and will fail in a way that is significant. I was the pilot on one of two known events. The engineering study shows that same result: Fine until it fails, and then it?s quickly a potentially serious problem. We cannot say that it?s likely or not likely to happen due to the variables involved, but we can say it?s difficult/impossible to predict when it will happen.

On the aircraft I experienced the tube failure on, the engine is a little tougher running than most which may have contributed. Hard to say.

It?s a Pretty quick and easy fix to swap the tube out. Takes Aboitvthe same amount of time as an oil change. I?d strongly suggest not waiting for the next annual. therw just no real reason to wait and plenty of reason to compete it.

Hi Greg
Thanks a lot for your quick and comprehensive reply.
I will do so upon receiving the shipment.
very much appreciated
Chris

Back