What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Van's Factory RV-12iS Tour May 6th-15th - Hope to meet some of you!

greghughespdx

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Figured I'd post this here and see who might be located somewhere along my path and able to meet up while I'm flying one of our factory RV-12iS airplanes around the country over the next week and a half or so.

I'll be in the Georgia area starting Monday, and need to end up at the AOPA fly-in at Frederick, Maryland by Thursday. After the fly-in, I plan to depart most likely on Sunday and head toward the Great Lakes area for a bit, then south-ish over Missouri and Arkansas and on to DR's place near Dallas, Texas for a stop. After that, will likely hit Colorado and Salt Lake City area before bookin' it on back to the Van's HQ in Oregon by the 15th or 16th of May.

So, that means I can take a couple days this week as well as after the AOPA show, and visit with some RV folks around those places and areas in-between (or reasonably close, RV-12 speeds factored in). I'd like nothing more than to see what you're building and/or flying, to hear your "RV stories," and maybe even record them.

Truth be told, that's my goal: Record some interviews of all you cool people and your RVs! We've been making airplanes for nearly 50 years, and it's high time we started telling your stories more, so that's the plan. Don't be shy, I'll make it easy, let's tell the world!

I'd also be interested to hear what you'd like to see come out of Van's Aircraft in the future. Here's a chance to let us know what you think.

So - Has flying your RV or your build project changed your life? Of course it has - Let's meet up! I'll bring some of our new Van's stickers and patches - they're easy to carry in the airplane on a 10-day RV-12 trip.

The ultimate bonus situation would be finding locations with a group of builders/owners/pilots that need a good excuse to meet up. But, even one person/airplane is of interest. So, if you think you or someone in the area would be good to meet and talk with, please let me know. You can post a reply here, text or call me at 503-410-two-two-fife-four and/or send me an email at [email protected].

Of course, weather, safety and overall schedule will define exactly where I can/cannot go and when -- and we all know how that goes planning-wise, but please contact me! I'll do my best. As my plans become more solid, I can update them here if it helps.

Thanks - Hope to see and meet some of you!

Greg

Last edited:
Georgia visit

Where in Georgia? And what time? I would assume you would stop by Falcon Field and Vic S/ Baseleg. The weather on Monday around ATL looks favorable. I would like to see the iS if you do get close to Atlanta.

Where in Georgia? And what time? I would assume you would stop by Falcon Field and Vic S/ Baseleg. The weather on Monday around ATL looks favorable. I would like to see the iS if you do get close to Atlanta.

I'll be at Falcon Field on Monday morning and departing later that morning sometime. Feel free to email me and let me know where you are, etc!

Fly over to KCCO

You should fly the 10 miles over to Newnan/Coweta County Airport and visit Synergy Air South.

They have an RV-7, RV-8, at least 4 RV-10's (one is mine) and a couple of RV-14's under construction. I doubt there is anywhere in the Southeast US with more RV's being built under one roof.

Lunch break is 11-12 Noon and is the best time to visit.

Putting Synergy South on my list to work in. It was already on the "if I can" list, but you're right - I really need to try to drop in!

Greg, did you mean to say June 6th - 15th?

If true, you'll be about a month late for AOPA ;)

It?s been a great trip so far. I?ve met with a bunch folks in Georgia and South Carolina so far, all awesome people of course!

Thanks to the many, many people who have contacted me to offer a place to stop. I?ve received many more invitations than I can possibly take folks up on, but I plan to keep the info Incase we can do this again sometime!

If you?ll be in Frederick look for the yellow RV-10 they?ll have there. Stop by and say hi, that?s where I plan to be most of the time. Some cool stuff going on there!

Thanks!

Greg

Greg it was great to meet you out at the factory last Friday! The invitation to NE Ohio still stands. Short notice is ok as well.

-Mike Guenthner

Stopping in Colorado?

You mentioned a stop in Colorado on you return trip. Any stop location identified yet? Safe travels!

Hi Everyone. Weather has been a real bear this trip (go figure eh?). It’s affected a couple of us flying RV aeroplanes around this fine country of ours. Right now I’m in a family restaurant in Rantoul, Illinois. Weather forced me to land at a former Air Force base here. It’s a combination of impressive buildings and sad emptiness. Someone needs to open an aviation business here. The empt hangars are just huge!

I’m enroute to Texas to meet up with DR, and while I’d originally hoped to be there today it’s looking like Monday morning weather here will be the best bet and arrive Texas sometime on Monday. Having spoken to Doug many times on the phone but never face to face I’m really looking forward to it.

After Texas, if all goes per plan ( and almost none of the plan has worked out so far...) I’m most likely heading to Colorado for a quick stop or two, then to Salt Lake City if the weather allows, and then home to Oregon.

I’ve had many more calls, emails, forum PMs and text messages than I ever imagined I’d get and I’m sorry I can’t stop everywhere. I have no idea how I’ll manage Colorado for example. Many invitations there! I guess I’ll need to figure out how to convince the boss that a six or eight week trip to visit people and talk with them about RVs would be a good idea! Wish me luck, hah.

So for those in the Dallas TX area - still trying to get there. I’ll let DR know once I have an idea about when/if I can get through this weather.

Rantoul was a former USAF base for B52s.

Actually it was always a technical training center under Air Training Command, and it was pretty dreary even back in the 80's. I'd imagine it's fairly desolate since it was closed.

Inbound Texas: Track Greg Online

1320Z 5/13/19:

If you would like to track Greg's trip to the Van Cave you can go to www.flightradar24.com and put N912VA in the search window.

Also, if you have the free FlightRadar24 app you can track him on your smartphone.

Greg is looking to interview RV owners/builders while here, so if interested come say hi if you can.

v/r,
dr

Last edited:
Colorado BJC

Greg
There are about 20 EAA guys and gals who meet for lunch on Wednesday at 11am in the terminal at Rocky Mtn Metro BJC. This is also the home of the Rocky Mountain Renegades. Lots of RVs Stop in and lunch is on Ricky.

EAA Chapter 301 has some of those.....

Builders, flyers, etc. There is even an ongoing RV-12Si youth build taking place at the Wings over the Rockies Museum in downtown Denver. Our general Chapter meeting is set for this Friday at 7:00pm near KAPA (Centennial Airport), but you may have already passed through here by then. As FunFlying mentioned, let us know where you intend to arrive and we can put an email blast out to members that might want to meet up. Will we expect you in Colorful Colorado tomorrow? Let us know.

Colorado folks,

I?m arriving this evening and will be at out KBJC Wednesday morning starting at 8:39am for a while before I depart for Oregon.

From our host, Bob Market: We?re true RVers on Lima Row. The more the merrier. 10900 W. 120th Ave., Broomfield, CO 80021. Hangar A-3 and the door will be opened weather permitting.

See you there!

Sorry I missed you!

Greg,
Sounds like you connected with the group for lunch at BJC. I was out flying my 12 by the time I came over to the terminal you were on your way. Some of the Kitfox guys forwarded me their patches and stickers you distributed so I was thankful for those. Hope your remaining flight/s back to Oregon were without issues.

Back